Reports and Presentations
Look for the to find the project in Yaffle!
- The James Robert Andersen Archive: A Contribution to the Development and Practice of the Cultural and Political Economies of Nunatsiavut, NL
Mark David Turner and Tom Gordon, School of Music
The Applied Research Fund
- Building an Inclusive Society: Youth and Teacher Perspectives on Immigration, Multiculturalism and Racism in Newfoundland and Labrador
Dr. Amanda Bittner, Memorial University & James Baker, Association for New Canadians
The Applied Research Fund
- Pilot-Scale Demonstration of Biosurfactant-Enhanced In- Situ Bioremediation of a Contaminated Site in Newfoundland and Labrador
Dr. Baiyu Zhang, Zhiwen Zhu, Liang Jing, Qinhong Cai and Zelin Li
The Applied Research Fund
- Evaluation of the Leslie Harris Centre Funding Programs: Impacts and Outcomes
Meghan Mahoney, MASP workterm student
- Développement du milieu des affaires francophone/bilingue du Labrador Ouest / The Development of the Francophone/Bilingual Community of the Labrador West Region
Mike Clair, The Harris Centre
- Understanding Regional Governance in Newfoundland and Labrador: A Survey of Regional Development Organizations
Kelly Vodden and Heather Hall with David Freshwater
- Closing the Loop on Lignocellulosic -based Solid Waste Management: Production of Biochar for Agricultural Land and Contaminant Adsorption Applications and for Climate Change
- Experiments in Rural Development and Ecosystem-Based Management: The Possibilities of Community Forestry in Newfoundland
- Making the Connection: Lessons from the Leslie Harris Centre of Regional Policy and Development, Memorial University Dr. Rob Greenwood, Presentation to Making the Connection: Universities and Community Economic Development, Fredericton, N.B., Oct. 18, 2011
- Defining Regions for Building Economic Development Capacity in Newfoundland and Labrador
David Freshwater, Alvin Simms and Kelly Vodden, Memorial University, November 2011, (also see: 2006 Newfoundland and Labrador Functional Regions Map)
- Action Canada Papers on Labrador Mining, Aboriginal Governance and Muskrat Falls
Dr. Keith Storey, Dr. Larry Felt, and David Vardy, Memorial University, October 2011
- A Commitment to Place: The Social Foundations of Innovation in Newfoundland and Labrador
Rob Greenwood and Candice Pike with Wade Kearley, Memorial University
- Knowledge mobilization processes during the research process in two projects: lessons for the Leslie Harris Centre of Regional Policy and Development
David Speed, Department of Psychology, Memorial University
- Metropolis on the margins: talent attraction and retention to the St. John’s city-region
Josh Lepawsky, Crystal Pham, Department of Geography, Rob Greenwood, Harris Centre, Memorial University
- Do Newfoundland and Labrador Royalties Subsidize Offshore Oil and Gas Investments? An Independent Assessment of the Claims Made in Mintz and Chen (2010) and Mintz (2010)
- Local Governance, Creativity and Regional Development in Newfoundland and Labrador: Lessons for Policy and Practice from Two Projects
- The Social Dynamics of Economic Performance: Innovation and Creativity in City-Regions - Newfoundland and Labrador Project Preliminary Findings – St. John’s, Clarenville, Corner Brook & Labrador West
Heather M. Hall, Queen's University, Kingston, ON - February 18 & 19, 2010
- Attracting and Retaining Immigrants to Newfoundland and Labrador: Voices from the Newcomers and International Students
Dr. Lan Gien and Dr. Rebecca Law - August 31, 2009
- The organization and dynamics of clustering and innovation in the ocean technology sector in Newfoundland and Labrador and the St. John’s city-region
Dr. Josh Lepawsky, Department of Geography - September 30, 2009
- "Help Wanted": Demographics, Labour Supply and Economic Change in Newfoundland and Labrador
Dr. Keith Storey, Department of Geography, Memorial University - October 2009
- Reflecting on Regional Engagement of Higher Education Institutions:
Have We Learned Anything?
Dr. Wade Locke, Department of Economics, Memorial University - May 6, 2009
- Evaluation of the Harris Centre's Applied Research Fund
Kate Reid-Shute, The Harris Centre - February 27, 2009
- Rural and Regional Development in Newfoundland and Labrador: Emerging Challenges and Opportunities
Dr. Rob Greenwood, The Harris Centre - Presentation to the Newfoundland and Labrador Credit Unions Directors' Conference - Gander, NL - May 28, 2009
- Atlantic Canada’s Demographic Future: Rural-Urban Interaction, Functional Regions & How We’re all in this Together!
Dr. Rob Greenwood, The Harris Centre - Presentation at CD Howe policy conference - Halifax, NS - May 12, 2009
- Pilot Project: A 20-Year Comparison on Immigration Retention in Newfoundland and Labrador
Barbara Burnaby, Joan Whelen and Jose Rivera - April 27, 2009
- Exploring the Meaning of "Welcoming Communities" for Immigrants in Newfoundland and Labrador
Dr. Anne Marie Sullivan, Kathleen Ring and Savanna Harris - March 31, 2009
- Innovation and Creativity in City Regions: Do We Have What It Takes to Compete with Canada's Urban Centre's?
Dr. Rob Greenwood, The Harris Centre - Presentation to Rotary Club - St. John's, NL - February, 2009.
- Knowlege in Motion 2008 Conference
Conference Evaluation Rollup
Kate Reid-Shute & John Duff, The Harris Centre
Strategic Intelligence Summary Report
Strategic Intelligence Group
- Where Do You Draw the LIne: Regionalization in Newfoundland and Labrador. Wade Kearly, January, 2008.
- Report from the Memorial University - Community Research Partnerships: Resource Management in Marine and Freshwater Environments
Kurt Korneski, CURRA - Final report from workshop - Eastport, NL - August 22 & 23, 2008.
- Report of the Immigration and Settlement Workshop
The Harris Centre - March 25, 2008
- Presentation to the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada on the knowledge mobilization activities of the Harris Centre, in Ottawa on February 14, 2008.
- Economic Development Benefits of the Oil and Gas Industry in Newfoundland and Labrador Conference Report - September 2007
Report findings came from a conference held at the Delta on May 16, 2007, in collaboration with the Harris Centre and the Oil and Gas Development Partnership (OGDP).
- The Fishery of Newfoundland and Labrador
Read the PowerPoint presentation which David Vardy, an Associate of the Harris Centre and a former deputy minister of fisheries with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, prepared for a visit by a Philipino group studying the collapse of fish stocks in the Visayan Sea.
- Foreign Credentials Recognition
The Harris Centre has participated in a study which aims to attract and retain skilled immigrants, undertaken by the Association for New Canadians. Download the final report.
- Atlantic Canada is one of the 14 regions world-wide participating in an OECD-led international project that focuses on the role of higher education in regional development. The Self-Evaluation Report of Atlantic Canada is now available. (This project was brokered by the Harris Centre.)
- Presentation to Springboard, the network of Atlantic Canada's incubator facilities by Dr. Rob Greenwood in Moncton, NB (February 27, 2007).
2006 and earlier
- Federal Government Presence in Newfoundland and Labrador (Final Report) by Dr. Jim Feehan and Ms. Alison Coffin (August 2006). Also a presentation was given by Dr. Feehan at a press conference on September 14, 2006.
- Federal Government Presence in Newfoundland and Labrador by Dr. Jim Feehan and Ms. Alison Coffin (November 22, 2005). Also a presentation was given by Dr. Jim Feehan and Ms. Alison Coffin at a press conference on November 22, 2005.
- Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation (CRRF) and Rural Development Institute (RDI) National Rural Think Tank 2005 Immigration and Rural Canada: Research and Practice (June 2005)
- A Survey of the Attitudes of Employers in Newfoundland and Labrador toward the Recruitment and Employment of New Canadians and International Workers
Dr. Wade Locke and Scott Lynch (April 14th, 2005)
- Overview of Canadian Provinces (April 14, 2005). Dr. Robert Greenwood's presentation at the Tri-National Agricultural Accord, Rural Development Workshop in Sacramento, California.
- Analysis of Cost of Labrador Marine Services: A Study of Base Freight Rates and Passenger Fares
(March 2005) During 2004, the Harris Centre completed an operational review of the Labrador Marine Service.
- Fixed Link between Labrador and Newfoundland Pre-Feasibility Study
November 2004, Volume 1 (Appendix A, Appendix B, Appendix C, Appendix D, Appendix E, Appendix F, Appendix G)
- The Role of International Medical Graduates in the Provision of Physician Services in Atlantic Canada
Dr. Rick Audas, Amanda Ross and David Vardy (December 31, 2004)
- The Harris Centre response to "Growing the Economy of Newfoundland and Labrador"
A report from Regional Workshops and Provincial Symposium, September 22nd to October 5th, 2004. (Presentations by: Wade Locke and Scott Lynch; Tom Grandy; Bruce Colbourne, Dennis Hogan and Kristi McBride; Alastair O'Rielly; David Stewart; Richard Comerford; Bruce and Jim Templeton)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Rural Dialogue Report
Keith Storey and Robert Greenwood
- Labrador Marine Transportation Study, Phase II
(May 15, 2004) The Public Policy Research Centre (a forerunner to the Harris Centre) was commissioned by the Department of Transportation and Works to undertake a review of the marine transportation system serving isolated communities on the coast of Labrador.