Irish Loop Regional Workshop
Are you living in the Irish Loop and interested in your region's development?
Or, are you faculty, staff or a student at Memorial University who would like to strengthen Memorial's presence and network with people in the Irish Loop?
If so, consider attending the Harris Centre's Regional Workshop on February 5, 2015 at the Regina Mundi Complex in Renews, from 9:00am-4:00pm (with breakfast starting at 8:00).
There will also be a Memorial Presents public forum from 7:00-9:00pm the evening before the workshop, titled In the Loop: Planning for Development in the Irish Loop. Please find more information here.
The following Regional Workshop themes have been developed with a local planning committee. While we may not be able to address all of the issues or questions, the workshop will provide a forum to discuss them.
Fostering regional collaboration
- How are communities working together to plan and share resources?
- Can communities/organizations cooperate further in the planning and delivery of services, such as healthcare, recreation, education, transportation, social services, etc.?
- In what ways can collaboration strengthen existing public and private sector initiatives?
Enhancing sustainability through land use planning
- With increasing development, how are decisions made about what to approve?
- How can communities mediate between competing needs?
- How can communities and the region plan to benefit from industrial development?
- What are the barriers to developing municipal or regional land use plans, and how can they be overcome?
Using technology to further advance rural areas
- How can the use of innovative technologies help the region build and retain its labour force?
- Can technology help with service delivery and decision making in healthcare, education, town planning, etc.?
- Can the region develop a technology hub, due to its close proximity to St. John's and its rural character?
Please contact Amy Tucker at email@example.com or 864-6115 if you have any questions or would like to register by phone.