Are you living in the Placentia Area, Cape Shore or St. Mary's Bay North and interested in your region's development?
Or, are you faculty, staff or a student at Memorial University who would like to strengthen Memorial's presence and make a difference in the lives of people in the Southwest Avalon region?
If so, consider attending the Harris Centre's Southwest Avalon Regional Workshop on June 6, 2013 at the Placentia Bay Cultural Arts Centre in Placentia from 10:00am to 5:00pm.
A Memorial Presents Public Forum will be held during lunchtime at the workshop from 12:30pm to 2:30pm, on the topic of Growing Gains/Growing Pains: The Opportunities and Challenges Facing the Southwest Avalon. If you are unable to attend the entire workshop, consider attending this important forum. For more information on Memorial Presents, please click here.
The workshop will focus on three key themes:
Addressing labour shortages
- How can businesses and organizations recruit and retain workers to fill the labour needs?
- How have mega-project developments changed the ability for other sectors, such as tourism and retail, to hire workers?
- In what ways can communities cooperate to provide services to the local labour market?
Fostering industrial development and cooperation
- What opportunities are there for local businesses to tap into the needs of mega-project developments?
- How can communities and industries cooperate to share in opportunities and avoid conflict?
- What innovative businesses exist, and what other opportunities are out there?
Dealing with the social impacts of development
- Since rent and the cost of living are on the rise with high pay for professionals and skilled trades workers, how does this impact others living in the region?
- How can communities make sure that vulnerable populations are not left behind?
- How can communities prepare for the fall-off of activity once the construction phases of mega-projects end?
Please pass this on to anyone else who may be interested!
Click here for the Regional Workshop Agenda
The registration deadline is May 30th.
Register Here for the entire Regional Workshop or just the Memorial Presents lunchtime session.
Registration is free and lunch is provided by the Harris Centre. Please contact Amy Tucker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 864-6115 if you have any questions.