Funding for Applied Research
The Harris Centre provides funding for applied research in all areas related to public policy and regional development. For the purposes of our funding programs:
- "Public policy" is defined as any activity which aims to influence the decisions of government departments and agencies.
- "Regional development" is defined as any activity which aims to improve the social, economic, cultural and environmental conditions within Newfoundland and Labrador.
Of course, there is a great deal of overlap between these two areas, and applicants are not required to specify whether their research project is intended for one or the other definition. The common theme, though, is that research projects funded by the Harris Centre must have some practical application to Newfoundland and Labrador.
For all of the Harris Centre's funding programs, the principal investigator must be from Memorial University. As conditions dictate, partners may be from other universities, from stakeholder organizations within the province, or from elsewhere. Some funding programs may be open to faculty and students, while some may be limited to one or the other.
As much as possible, the Harris Centre attempts to limit the paperwork involved in applying for research funding and attempts to speed up the approval process.
Current Harris Centre funds include:
- The Harris Centre Applied Research Fund provides up to $15,000 per project for research in any area of regional policy and development. Applicants may be faculty or students. The 2012-2013 application period runs from January 18, 2013, until February 15, 2013.
- The Strategic Partnership – Harris Centre Student Research Fund provides four $5,000 awards to current graduate students to undertake research in areas dealing with the competitiveness of the province. Different themes will be addressed each year. The 2012-2013 application period runs from September 28, 2012, until October 26, 2012.
- The Harris Centre – MMSB Waste Management Applied Research Fund provides up to $15,000 for research on solid waste management issues in Newfoundland and Labrador.The 2012-2013 application period runs from November 9, 2012, until December 7, 2012.
- The Harris Centre – RBC Water Research and Outreach Fund provides up to $15,000 for research on rural and remote drinking water issues in Newfoundland and Labrador. The 2012-2013 application period runs from April 5, 2013 until May 3, 2013.
Have a question? Try here: Harris Centre Funds FAQ
The Harris Centre is always seeking new sources of funding for applied research projects. If you have any suggestions for a new research fund, please let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org).