Matching Airfield: USAAF Station 166
The United States Army Air Force (USAAF) airfield at Matching (Station 166) was completed by October 1943 and was the home base of four squadrons of Martin B-26 Marauder aircraft of the 391st Bombardment Group (M) of the 9th Air Force. Nearly all the perimeter track remains, although it has been reduced in width to about 10 feet. There is also a very rare piece of full-width runway, west of the road that bisects the airfield site. The control tower is intact, as is the main aviation fuel storage facility near Stock Hall. Many Quonset huts survive on The Watertower Site Industrial Estate which formerly housed the C.O.'s quarters and the Sergeant's (Orderly) mess, showers and latrine. Sadly, the Braithwaite Water Tower, which was a prominent local landmark for almost 70 years, was demolished in 2014.