Churchgate Street: East Side

Churchgate Street: East Side

Churchgate Street, 1875 Churchgate Street 1947

1 Churchgate Street*: Meadhams. A 16th century house

13 Churchgate Street*. A house probably dating from ca, 1600

15 Churchgate Street*. Built ca. 1600. Refronted, but the timber framing is 15 Churchgate Streetexposed on the north side, in Mill Lane. By the 1880's it was Archbell's grocery and drapery shop. After one of the shop assistants by the name of Jacob married the owner's daughter it became Archbell and Jacob. The grocery side of the shop was closed down when Young's shop at Mulberry Green was taken over by new owners. The drapery shop closed 1936 and became an antique shop.

17 - 19 Churchgate Street*. Deeds for these buildings date from 1664. A sub-Post Office was operated here from 1894 to 2009. The original owners were Mr. and Mrs. French, parents of the two 17-19 Churchgate Streetheadmistresses of Fawbert and Barnard's School, located in London Road. The telephone kiosk in front of the shop is a Grade II Listed Structure. It's a model K6, designed in 1935 by Giles Gilbert Scott , grandson of Sir George Gilbert Scott, designer of the Anglican Cathedral in St. John's, Newfoundland, to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of King George V. This was the first type of red telephone kiosk to be widely used in the U.K.

21 - 25 Churchgate Street*. A late 19th century range of tenements, timber-framed and rendered. The 1875 Ordnance Survey map shows a maltings on this site.

Contact

Harlow Campus

230 Elizabeth Ave

St. John's, NL A1B 3X9 CANADA

Tel: (709) 864-2530

Fax: (709) 864-2552

becomestudent@mun.ca