Accueil
English version
Liste des membres
Bibliographie
Liens
Procès-verbal des réunions
Images du French Shore
Contactez-nous

Welcome
Version française
List of members
Bibliography
Links
Minutes of meetings
 French Shore Images
Contact us

Image: Franco-Newfoundland flag

Groupe de recherches en études franco-terreneuviennes
French-Newfoundland Studies Research Group


Image: Cap Rouge
Le cap Rouge, vu de South West Crouse. Site d'une pêche française importante avant 1904.
Cape Rouge, from South West Crouse. Site of major French fishing operations prior to 1904.
Photo: M. Wilkshire


MINUTES OF MEETINGS,
 2002
PROCÈS-VERBAL DES RÉUNIONS, 2002
#1: 16 - 9 - 2002
First meeting of the French-Newfoundland Studies Research Group,
held on September 16th at the Department of French and Spanish

In attendance
Jim MacLean, Peter Ayres, Aileen Macdonald, Ronald Rompkey, Joan Woodrow, Françoise Enguehard, Jeff Butt, Éliane Lebel, Bernard Fournier, Suzelle Lavallée, Michael Wilkshire, Patty Wells, Amanda Crompton, Gerald Thomas, Magessa O’Reilly, Peter Pope

Jim asks all those present to introduce themselves.  After the introductions are over, Jim points out that at this moment the group is an informal one.  However, it will be possible to make the group more formal at a later date if the members of the group so choose (for example, seek centre or institute status from the university).  Jim then passes around the latest book by André Magord.

1. Approval of agenda

Jim reads aloud an e-mail sent to him by Neil Bishop (absent) in which he expresses his concerns about the agenda : Neil does not believe that elections should be held given the informal nature of the group.  Jim thinks otherwise and a discussion on this subject ensues.  The members also wonder if a treasurer should be elected seeing that the group has no money.  A vote is held and it is decided that a president, a secretary, a treasurer and a Web site co-ordinator will be elected.  The agenda is adopted unchanged.

2. Election of a chair, a secretary, a treasurer and a Web site co-ordinator

- Gerald Thomas is elected by acclamation as president
- Jeff Butt is elected by acclamation as secretary
- Bernard Fournier is elected by acclamation as treasurer
- Mike Wilkshire is elected by acclamation as co-ordinator of the Web site

Jim hands the floor over to the president.

Gerald offers a brief overview of the evolution of French-Newfoundland studies.  He points out that the French language spoken on the west coast and folklore are really the only aspects that have been studied in depth.  He goes on to say, however, that research is needed in other areas such as  archaeology, economics, history (links that have been maintained with St. Pierre, for example) and sociology.  Even within the areas that have been traditionally studied, there are themes that remain untouched : the English spoken by French Newfoundlanders, the evolution of the French language on the Port-au-Port peninsula and the attitudes of English-speaking Newfoundlanders and of French-speaking Newfoundlanders themselves toward the French-Newfoundland dialect. 

3. The group’s name

A long debate unfolds around the name of the group in English and in French.  The words “French” and “franco” are disputed by some, while the use of both “Studies/études” and “Research/recherches” is argued by others.  The group’s members also discuss the use of the hyphen in “franco-terre(-)neuviennes”.

[Peter Pope leaves]

A vote determines the name of the group to be :
in English : French-Newfoundland Studies Research Group
in French : Groupe de recherches en études franco-terreneuviennes

[Suzelle Lavallée leaves]

4. On-line bibliography

Jim feels that one of the first tasks of the group should be to create a bibliography of references to French-Newfoundland studies.  Jeff mentions that he prepared a bibliography on the French presence in Newfoundland when he worked for Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage and that he could share it with the others.  He feels that at the very least it could serve as a starting point to which others could add, stemming from their own interests or field of studies.  It is decided that Jeff will send an electronic  copy of the bibliography to Gerald and Mike.  Mike will take care of placing it on the Internet. 

5. Other proposals for the Web site

The members of the group will send their ideas to Gerald, who will, in turn, send them to Mike while c.c.ing them to Jeff.

6. Lectures and seminars for fall 2002

Joan mentions that the annual French Shores Symposium is taking place on the Northern peninsula next spring and that the group may want to get involved.  Peter says that he believes that this point on the agenda rather concerns departmental seminars.  Unfortunately, Jim had to leave the room to photocopy the e-mail addresses and phone numbers of the group members and is therefore unable to clarify what the group is supposed to be discussing.  Jeff says he will contact Gerald in the near future to arrange the next meeting, during which members can elaborate on their personal interests.  This would enable them to break off into smaller groups and eventually present to the others or within the departmental seminar series.

[Ronald and Françoise leave]

7. Other proposals for projects


Everyone agrees to e-mail Jeff their ideas for project proposals.

Mike drops back in to say that he will soon be delivering a presentation on the French in Newfoundland and offers to keep everyone informed.

8. Any other business

Nothing

9. Adjournment

Meeting adjourned.

Première réunion du Groupe de recherches sur les études franco-terreneuviennes,
tenue le 16 septembre au Département d’Études françaises et hispaniques

Présences
Jim MacLean, Peter Ayres, Aileen Macdonald, Ronald Rompkey, Joan Woodrow, Françoise Enguehard, Jeff Butt, Éliane Lebel, Bernard Fournier, Suzelle Lavallée, Michael Wilkshire, Patty Wells, Amanda Crompton, Gerald Thomas, Magessa O’Reilly, Peter Pope

Jim demande à tout le monde de se présenter.  Après les présentations, Jim précise que le groupe est en ce moment informel, mais qu’il existe la possibilité de le rendre plus formel plus tard (par. ex. devenir un centre/institut officialisé par l’université) si les membres le désirent.  Ensuite, Jim fait circuler la dernière publication d’André Magord.

1. Approbation de l’ordre du jour

Jim lit à haute voix un courriel que lui avait envoyé Neil Bishop, qui n’a pas pu venir aujourd’hui, et qui fait état des opinions de ce dernier sur l’ordre du jour : Neil ne croit pas qu’on devrait tenir des élections en raison du caractère informel du groupe.  Jim dit être d’avis contraire et il s’ensuit une discussion à ce sujet.  On se demande aussi si on devrait élire un trésorier étant donné que le groupe n’a pas de fonds.  Un vote décide qu’un président, un secrétaire, un trésorier et un responsable du site Internet seront élus.  L’ordre du jour est approuvé sans modification.

2. Élection d’un président, d’un secrétaire, d’un trésorier et d’un responsable du site Internet

- Gerald Thomas est élu par acclamation au poste du président
- Jeff Butt est élu par acclamation au poste du secrétaire
- Bernard Fournier est élu par acclamation au poste du trésorier
- Mike Wilkshire est élu par acclamation au poste du responsable du site Internet

Jim passe donc la parole au président.

Gerald donne un bref aperçu de l’histoire des études franco-terreneuviennes.  Il fait remarquer que le folklore et la langue française de la côte ouest sont plus ou moins les seuls aspects qui aient été étudiés en profondeur.  Il précise pourtant que des recherches sont nécessaires dans d’autres domaines, dont l’archéologie, l’économie, l’histoire (liens maintenus avec Saint-Pierre, par exemple) et la sociologie.  Même à l’intérieur des domaines qui ont traditionnellement été étudiés, il y a des thèmes inexplorés : l’anglais parlé par les Franco-Terrenuviens, l’évolution du français sur la péninsule de Port-au-Port et les attitudes des anglophones de la province et des Franco-Terreneuviens eux-mêmes vis-à-vis du dialecte franco-terreneuvien. 

3. Le nom du groupe

Le nom du groupe en anglais et en français fait l’objet d’un long débat.  Les termes “French” et “franco” posent un problème pour certains, ainsi que l’emploi simultané des mots “Studies/études” et “Research/recherches”.  Les membres du groupe discutent également de l’usage du trait d’union en “franco-terre(-)neuviennes”.

[départ de Peter Pope]

Un vote décide que le nom du groupe sera comme suit :
en anglais : French-Newfoundland Studies Research Group
en français : Groupe de recherches en études franco-terreneuviennes

[départ de Suzelle Lavallée]

4. Bibliographie sur Internet

Jim dit qu’une des premières tâches du groupe devrait être la création d’une bibliographie des oeuvres traitant des études franco-terreneuviennes.  Jeff dit qu’il avait préparé une bibliographie sur la présence française à Terre-Neuve lorsqu’il travaillait pour Patrimoine de Terre-Neuve et du Labrador et il propose de la partager avec le groupe.  Il croit que cette bibliographie pourrait servir tout au moins d’un point de départ et que les autres pourraient y ajouter d’autres oeuvres relevant de leur champ d’intérêt ou de leur domaine d’études.  Il est décidé que Jeff enverra une copie électronique de la bibliographie à Gerald et à Mike.  Ce dernier s’occupera de la mise en ligne de la bibliographie. 

5. Autres propositions pour le site Internet

Les membres du groupe enverront leurs idées à Gerald, qui à son tour les enverra à Mike et en copie comforme à Jeff.

6. Conférences et séminaires pour l’automne 2002

Joan mentionne qu’au printemps prochain aura lieu le Colloque annuel sur les Côtes françaises sur la péninsule du Nord et que le groupe pourrait envisager d’y participer.  Peter dit qu’il croit qu’il s’agit ici plutôt de conférences et de sémimaires départementaux.  Malheureusement Jim, qui a dû sortir de la salle faire des photocopies des adresses électroniques et numéros de téléphone de chacun des membres, n’est pas là pour clarifier.  Jeff dit qu’il prendra contact avec Gerald dans un proche avenir pour fixer la date de la prochaine réunion lors de laquelle les membres pourront parler de leurs intérêts personnels, ce qui leur permettra de se diviser en groupes plus petits dans le but de faire des présentations aux autres membres du groupe ou dans le cadre des séminaires départementaux.

[départ de Ronald et de Françoise]

7. Autres propositions pour des projets

Tout le monde convient d’envoyer à Jeff par courriel tout autre proposition de projet.

Mike revient pour dire qu’il va bientôt donner une conférence sur les Français à Terre-Neuve.  Il tiendra les autres au courant.

8. Divers

Rien

9. Levée de la séance

La séance est levée.

#2: 16 -10 - 2002
Second meeting of the French-Newfoundland Studies Research Group,
held on October 16th, 2002, in the Department of Linguistics Seminar Room

Deuxième réunion du Groupe de recherches en études franco-terreneuviennes
tenue le 16 octobre 2002 dans
la salle de séminaire du Département de linguistique
 


In attendance/Présences

Jim MacLean, Jeff Butt, Gerald Thomas, Peter Ayres, Ronald Rompkey, JoanWoodrow, Éliane Lebel, Michael Wilkshire, Patty Wells, Amanda Crompton, Peter Pope, Johanne Trew, Suzan Banoub-Baddour, Marie-Claire Bidaud

Absent with reason/Absences motivées
Neil Bishop, Andrée Thoms, Bernard Fournier, Christopher English, Suzelle Lavallée

1. President's welcome/Mot de bienvenue du président
Gerald welcomes all in attendance.  Peter Ayres informs members that Yvan Rose of the Linguistics Department wishes to be a member of the group and to be included in future group e-mails.  Gerald points out that he would like to use a tape recorder to record the proceedings in order to facilitate the note-taking.  There are no objections.

Gerald souhaite la bienvenue à tout le monde.  Peter Ayres informe les membres qu=Yvan Rose du département de linguistique désire faire partie du groupe et recevoir dorénavant les courriels du groupe.  Gerald signale qu'il aimerait enregistrer les délibérations à l'aide d'un magnétophone afin de rendre la prise de notes plus facile.  Il n'y a pas d'objection.

2. Approval of agenda/Adoption de l'ordre du jour
Adopted without modification.  Adopté sans modification.

3. Approval of minutes/Adoption du procès-verbal
Adopted without modification.  Adopté sans modification.

4. Round table : members' personal interests in the area of French-Newfoundland Studies/Table ronde : intérêts personnels des membres dans le domaine des études franco-terreneuviennes
Jeff points out that some members of the group are unable to attend today but have asked him to read aloud their interests.  These members are Bernard Fournier, Christopher English and Suzelle Lavallée.

Jeff fait remarquer que certains membres du groupe n'ont pas pu se rendre à cette réunion mais lui ont demandé de lire à haute voix leurs intérêts.  Il s'agit de Bernard Fournier, Christopher English et Suzelle Lavallée.

 
[Jeff proceeds to read the descriptions of interests sent to him ahead of time by Bernard Fournier, Christopher English and Suzelle Lavallée.  All descriptions are recorded in the minutes in the language in which they were provided.]

[Jeff procède à une lecture des description d'intérêts que lui ont envoyées d'avance Bernard Fournier, Christopher English et Suzelle Lavallée.  Toutes les descriptions apparaissent dans le procès-verbal dans la langue dans laquelle elles ont été présentées.]

Bernard Fournier
En tant que politologue travaillant essentiellement sur des sujets touchant la participation et l'intérêt politique, de même que sur le nationalisme (surtout chez les jeunes), je n'ai pas encore cerné exactement quelles dimensions de ces intérêts touchent aux questions franco-terreneuviennes. Il est également possible que j'explore d'autres domaines, comme le rôle des communautés religieuses ayant des ramifications dans les pays francophones (je pense aussi au Québec, évidemment) dans la détermination des politiques de la provinces (éducation, santé). Cependant, je ne sais pas du tout si le sujet est pertinent (le rôle des communautés religieuses est fondamental, c'est connu, mais y aurait-il eu des contacts, une "filière" française dans le cas de communautés aussi implantées au Québec ?).  Il y aurait certainement des choses à faire sur la place des associations francophones, en tant que lobbyistes, dans la définition des politiques de la province (mais c'est peut-être encore un sujet trop limité, vu le nombre !). La dimension historique serait sans doute essentielle aussi.

Christopher English
1. Legal history of Placentia under the French regime.
2. Vestiges of that practice there and elsewhere in Newfoundland after 1714.
Suzelle Lavallée
Mon champ d'intérêt se résume surtout sur l'aspect identitaire des francophones.  Surtout depuis l'avènement de l'éducation en français depuis 1988.  Est-ce que l'école contribue au développement du sens identitaire de l'élève (et ce dans les cinq régions - Labrador City, Goose Bay, Cap St-Georges, La Grand'Terre et St. John's).

- L'importance de modèles de la communauté, des enseignants qui ont une fonction "d'agent double" - modèle et enseignant.

- le rôle de la communauté à valoriser le travail que l'école fait - le français n'est pas seulement la langue de l'école mais la langue de la communauté.

 
- la composante écrite de la langue : dans le cas de la péninsule de Port-au Port, l'aspect écrit de la langue française n'existe presque pas : et pour cause : les gens "lettrés"  ont reçu leur éducation en anglais et lorsqu'ils écrivent , c'est en anglais. La langue française, à l'oral, fait partie des us et des moeurs d'une certaine partie des membres de la communauté mais la langue française écrite et lue ne rejoint qu'une très petite portion de la population, soit les élèves qui fréquentent l'école française. Est-ce que la communauté se sent partie prenante des changements que l'école apporte? Est-ce que la langue française dans cette région sera toujours divisée en 2 : la langue de l'école (parlée, écrite et lue) et la langue de la communauté (parlée) ? Est-ce que la communauté se sent à l'aise de s'afficher en français? Si les élèves ne voient pas la langue écrite dans la communauté, il leur sera difficile de s'appropier cette composante de la langue.

[It was agreed later in the meeting that for the purpose of recording the minutes accurately, members would send to the secretary via e-mail a description of their interests.  The entries that follow are the result of this decision.]

[Une décision prise par les membres à un moment ultérieur de la réunion stipule qu'afin d'avoir un procès-verbal le plus exact possible, ils enverraient au secrétaire par courriel une description de leurs intérêts, d'où les entrées suivantes.]

Michael Wilkshire
Interested in a variety of aspects of the French presence in Newfoundland, especially in the nineteenth century. Specific areas include crew lists, after-death inventories of effects of French fishermen and sailors, reports from captains of the French naval division in Newfoundland and other archival records, French accounts of travels to Newfoundland, and French ships' surgeons in Newfoundland.

James Hiller
1. French Treaty Shore
2. Diplomatic and treaty issues
3. History of the Petit Nord
4. History of French fisheries at Newfoundland

Gerald Thomas
1. Franco-Newfoundland Song Project
Well over 300 songs, mostly French, some in English, and some macaronic in language, have been collected from the French of the Port-au-Port Peninsula since the work of Kenneth Peacock in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Each song often has several versions; they vary in fullness and interpretive style. While the current corpus does not claim to be exhaustive, it is certainly representative. The project, which has been supported generously by the J R Smallwood Centre, has first aimed at a detailed musical and textual annotation of each song and variant(s). The musical transcription and subsequent analysis has been completed by Newfoundland composer Paul Steffler. The aim of the project is to publish all song texts integrally, with musical transcriptions in fine detail for a select number of songs, less detailed transcriptions for the remainder. This exigency is based on time and money, rather than for any other reason. The Introduction to the eventual volume will be in two parts: an historical section, covering the origins of contemporary French Newfoundlanders principally on the Port-au-Port Peninsula; and notes on each of the contributing singers where such information is available. The second part of the Introduction, to be contributed by Paul Steffler, will detail his advanced transcription protocol, applied to a select number of songs, with a survey of the consequences of its application: essentially, that the best Franco-Newfoundland singers possessed a musical aesthetic of which they were conscious, and which they applied with unexpected rigour.

2. Franco-Newfoundland Folktale Project
 
I have been collecting folktales from French Newfoundlanders since my first fieldtrip to the Port-au-Port Peninsula in 1970. The period of collection, both by myself and by students and colleagues, has covered the best part of a quarter of a century. I have published one study, in both a French and English version, of the storytelling styles of three narrators whose tales I collected in this period, but the number of tales published to date represents only a fraction of the existing corpus. This earlier study (Les Deux Traditions: le conte populaire chez les Franco-Terreneuviens, Montréal: Bellarmin, 1983, and The Two Traditions: The Art of Storytelling Amongst French Newfoundlanders, St. John's: Breakwater, 1993) dealt essentially with narrative style. My current writings deal with the meaning of folktales, and I have published several articles on this subject by 2002. The theoretical framework of my examination is that proposed by the late Danish scholar Bengt Holbek in his 1987 Interpretation of Fairy Tales (Helsinki: Academia Scientiarum Fennica, vol. 239). With some minor modifications to his terminology, I have argued that fairy tales (i.e. tales which end in a marriage) have addressed pertinent and regular life crises in Franco-Newfoundland culture, each tale offering a solution to a specific problem encountered by young adults. The problem of interpretation is solved by an understanding that the supposedly "magical" elements in tales are in fact symbolic, and understanding the meaning of these symbols is the key to understanding the meaning of tales, when applied plausibly to a living folktale community.

3. Other Projects
From time to time I pursue lesser themes of interest to me, based on a wide collection of data accumulated since 1970. The most recent of these was French Family Names of Newfoundland and Labrador (St. John's: Harry Cuff, 1999), itself based on articles published in the 1980s, but much expanded and enlarged.

Ronald Rompkey
1. The social circumstances of the the Newfoundland gardiens who kept custody of French premises over the winter.

2. A collection of extracts from French publications which describe Newfoundland as a place or Newfoundlanders as a people in the nineteenth century.

Peter Pope
Collection and transcription of documents shedding light on effort and catches in the Newfoundland fishery, 1500-1700 (part of HMAP: History of Marine Animal Populations).

Fishing stations on le Petit Nord, 1504-1904, especially 1500-1700. To date, documentary research with Anne-Helene Kiribirou and Laurier Turgeon of Université Laval. Long range plan to encourage archaeological survey and eventual excavation of French sites on the Petit Nord.

Fishing stations on the south coast, 1504-1713, including particularly Plaisance, especially peacetime relations with the English Shore, 1662-1689. (I am supervising Amanda Crompton's doctoral research on the archaeology of Plaisance in this period.)

 
I am working with our Newfoundland Archaeological Heritage Outreach Program (NAHOP) coordinator Steve Mills and Steve Knudsen of the Petit Nord Natural and Cultural Heritage Society on a third French Shores Working Group Workshop, bringing community groups togther with interests in the interpretation of the history and archaeology of French Newfoundland. This is planned for St Anthony in spring 2003.

I'm working with Jim Hiller on a popular history of the French Fishery, for the French Shores Working Group, to be sponsored by the Newfoundland Archaeological Heritage Outreach Program.

Suzan Bannoub-Baddour
Mes intérêts se centrent présentement sur le domaine des services de santé offerts en français pour la communauté francophone de Terre Neuve et du Labrador. Plus précisément, sur les besoins dans les trois communautés ( St. John's, Port-au-Port et Labrador City), leurs perceptions de services essentiels, et leurs connaissances de services déjà offerts. Un autre intérêt (partagé avec R. Gauthier) porte sur l'intérêt de jeunes francophones terre-neuviens à entreprendre des études de français dans le domaine de la santé.

Élaine Lebel
J'enseigne le français au Département des études françaises et hispaniques de l'université Memorial de Terre-Neuve. Je suis originaire du Québec, où j'y ai complété des études de maîtrise en linguistique (phonologie et acquisition de la langue première). En tant que nouvelle franco-terreneuvienne, je m'intéresse à la situation du français comme langue maternelle (unique ou en contexte bilingue) dans les communautés francophones locales, mais mon travail en langue seconde élargit mon champ d'intérêt pour inclure tout ce qui a trait au français et à sa condition de survie en tant que langue d'usage, vivante, tant parlée qu'écrite. J'ai joint le groupe en tant qu'amateure, en espérant pouvoir en apprendre davantage sur ces questions et sur la culture francophone d'hier et d'aujourd'hui (musique, traditions ancestrales, vocabulaire local, etc.) des peuples qui habitent la province.

I teach French in the Department of French and Spanish at Memorial University of Newfoundland. I am originally from Québec, where I completed a Master's degree in Linguistics (phonology and first language acquisition). As a new French-Newfoundlander, I am interested in the actual situation of French as a mother tongue (exclusively or in a bilingual context) in the local French communities, but my work with second language learners has broadened my interests to include anything that has to do with French and its chances of survival as a vivid, live language, both spoken and written. I joined the group as an amateure, hoping to learn more on these issues and on the past and present culture (music, traditions, local vocabulary, etc.) of the French communities living in the province.

Marie-Claire Bidaud
Intérêts de L' AFSJ (l'Association francophone de Saint-Jean):

 
L' Association francophone de Saint-Jean travaille au développement du circuit d'Iberville qui va contribuer à la reconnaissance du patrimoine français dans la péninsule d'Avalon en partenariat avec les musées et centres d'interprétation de la région et à travers la création de produits et de services en français.

La colonisation française de la Baie de Plaisance, la pêcherie, la religion, les contacts avec SPM et l'Acadie ainsi que les Premières Nations sont des thèmes de choix.

Afin que les visiteurs vivent une expérience enrichissante et unique, nous allons créer des produits d'interprétation théâtrale, d'événement sportif : raid-nature, ayant un rapport direct avec notre histoire.

Le partage d'information du groupe va nous permettre de rester à jour sur les développements et sur les références et recherches concernant la péninsule d'Avalon.

Jeff Butt
As a public servant working in the area of promoting official languages and developing strategies for the delivery of services in French for the Francophone community of Newfoundland and Labrador, I am interested in exploring why some Francophone groups in the province are more likely to accept the status quo (the delivery of government programs and services primarily in English) than others.  Why are some groups more militant than others in laying claim to language rights?  Is there a link between degree of assimilation and likelihood to be more passive in this area?  Or are more heavily assimilated groups more likely to make demands on government because of the precarious situation in which their language and culture find themselves, or will they be more reluctant to do so for fear of being further marginalized or pressured into assimilation?  What role does being a Anative Newfoundlander@, as opposed to a Francophone born elsewhere but now living in the province, play?  Finally, what effect does the existence of government services in French have on a person's ability to identify with La Francophonie or with being Francophone?

I am also interested in the history of Red Island and would like to see it investigated in more detail.

En tant que fonctionnaire oeuvrant dans les domaines de la promotion des langues officielles et du développement de stratégies pour la livraison de services en français à la communauté
francophone de Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador, je m'intéresse à explorer les raisons pour lesquelles certains groupes francophones acceptent plus volontiers le statu quo (la prestation de services et de programmes gouvernementaux principalement en anglais) comparativement à d'autres groupes.  Pourquoi certains groupes expriment-ils plus clairement leurs revendications linguistiques?  Y a-t-il un lien entre le degré d'assimilation et la passivité à cet égard?  Ou, est-il plus probable que les groupes les plus touchés par l'assimilation exigent davantage de la part du gouvernement, effectivement en raison de la situation précaire dans laquelle se trouvent leur langue et leur culture, ou bien seront-ils plus réticents de peur de se retrouver encore plus marginalisés ou de se sentir forcés de s'assimiler?  Quel est le rôle du fait d'être un Franco-Terreneuvien Ade souche@, par opposition au fait d'être un Francophone venu d'ailleurs?  Enfin, quel effet l'existence de services gouvernementaux en français a-t-elle sur la capacité individuelle de s'identifier avec la Francophonie et avec le fait d'être francophone?

 
Je m'intéresse aussi à l'histoire de l'Île-Rouge et j'aimerais donc qu'elle fasse l'objet de davantage d'études.

Joan Woodrow
I am interested in the French sedentary fishery to the northeast coast of Newfoundland, (le Petit Nord) particularly to the harbours between Englee and Fichot Island.  My mother (Nancy O'Neill) comes from Conche.  Some people in our family had worked as guardians to the French in the 19th century and the family home in Conche contains many beautiful articles from France, which the people received as gifts or barter from the French fishermen.  I would like to understand the historical context of many of the stories in the local oral tradition, from the French Shore period, and to verify names, dates and events associated with these stories.  These wonderful narratives capture in a very subtle way how the grander historical events effecting Newfoundland figured in the daily lives of ordinary people.   I am intrigued by the way the French used this place, the harbours, the rooms and the fishing grounds, before our people did.  I want to know about how life was for those who worked and died here, and the families they left behind in France, what >Terre-Neuve' meant (means) in the culture of fishermen from St. Malo, Granville and St. Brieuc.  So I am interested in their relationship with the place and also with the people:  aboriginal people and later, Newfoundlanders.  By the terms of the Treaties between England and France the French had to go back to Europe every fall, so as the Newfoundland population increased and people started to move onto the French Shore, the French had to hire guardians to look after their premises over the winter.  It seems that the French favoured the Irish as the guardians of their premises because they were Catholic, like themselves.  Religion seems to have played an important role in the lives of the French fishermen and in their relations with the local people and I am interested in learning more about what that meant, both spiritually and politically.  To date, apart from learning about the historical context of the French sedentary fishery, I have looked at some ships records from the port of Granville in 1832-35 and recorded the names of the ships, numbers of men, the harbours they were destined for and the rooms they were attached to in those harbours, as well as any interesting documentation relating to accidents, illness or deaths during the voyages. 

[The following entries are of those members present at the meeting but who were unable to send a written description of their interests to the secretary.  The entries are based on the secretary's notes taken during the meeting and on the audio recording.]

[Les entrées suivantes exposent les intérêts des membres présents à cette réunion mais qui n'ont pas envoyé au secrétaire une description écrite de leur intérêts.  L'information présentée est basée sur les notes prises par le secrétaire pendant la réunion et sur l'enregistrement sonore.]

Peter Ayres
Peter has not yet formally undertaken any research in French-Newfoundland studies, but would like to.  He is interested in Ale parler franco-terreneuvien@ and has an amateur interest in history.  He also hopes that the activities of this research group will convince university administration to make an appointment in this area.

Johanne Devlin Trew
 
Johanne is with the MUN School of Music and is interested in traditional French-Newfoundland music and song.  Being Irish but having lived in Montreal, she is also interested in the relationship between French Canadians and the Irish people.

Patty Wells
Patty works with the archaeology unit and feels that interest around the archaeology of Newfoundland's early French inhabitants is increasing.  She is hoping that being part of this group will allow her to access more information on the early occupation of the French Shore.

Amanda Crompton
Amanda is currently running an archaeological dig in Placentia.  She is interested in the social and economic, as well as military, history of the French in Placentia.

Jim MacLean
As a member of the department of French and Spanish, Jim is interested in the French cultural presence in Newfoundland.

[Below are the interests of those not in attendance at the meeting but who forwarded their descriptions to the secretary afterward.]

[Les descriptions ci-dessous sont celles des membres qui étaient absents lors de la réunion mais qui les ont envoyées au secrétaire par la suite.]

Neil Bishop
Sans doute la définition de "franco-terre-neuvien" a-t-elle fait l'objet de discussions. Pour moi, il convient de reconnaître et de valoriser tous les francophones de la province de Terre-Neuve et du Labrador. Est donc franco-terre-neuvienne, pour moi, toute personne d'origine ou d'expression française (y compris donc des personnes dont la première langue n'était pas le français mais qui ont choisi cette langue comme l'un de leurs véhicules d'expression et de communication ; ainsi que des personnes d'origine franco-terre-neuvienne qui maîtrisent peu le français ou même qui n'en ont aucune maîtrise). Ce dernier groupe rassemblerait bon nombre de personnes issues de générations antérieures d'un groupe auquel on pense souvent comme étant franco-terre-neuvien, les personnes de langue ou d'origine française de la péninsule de Port-au-Port ou de la région de Stephenville, etc.

Bref, ce dernier groupe est assurément franco-terre-neuvien ; mais il ne conviendrait pas de le considérer comme constituant le seul groupe francophone authentiquement franco-terre-neuvien, même si j'ai connu au moins un membre de ce groupe qui pensait ainsi. Au contraire, il faut reconnaître, valoriser et priser le caractère pluri-ethnique, multi-racial de la population franco-terre-neuvienne dont les membres peuvent être originaires de n'importe quel point de notre plantète.

 
Ainsi, les deux écrivaines francophones actives que je connais sont toutes deux originaires de lieux extérieurs à notre province. Un homme fort connu de notre population francophone à St. John's écrivait et publiait en français et a même fait l'objet du plus haut prix littéraire accordé par le Canada aux poètes ; je ne sais s'il écrit encore de la poésie en français, mais il est très actif comme francophone ; lui aussi est originaire d'un lieu extérieur à notre province.

Pour répondre à ta question concernant nos activités et nos intérêts dans le domaine franco-terre-neuvien, j'ai traduit des textes du monsieur sus-dit ainsi que d'une des deux dames. Je viens de traduire en anglais des textes de l'écrivaine Annick Perrot-Bishop pour une anthologie de la poésie terre-neuvienne qui va donner une place -- contrairement sans doute aux autres anthologies de poésie de la province -- à la poésie terre-neuvienne en français (je crois que l'éditrice de l'anthologie a l'intention de publier non seulement certaines de mes traductions anglaises mais aussi les versions originales françaises).       

Andrée Thoms
Je m'intéresse à l'Acadie et aux acadiens. Dans le contexte nord-atlantique, je m'intéresse aux descendants acadiens de Terre-Neuve et leurs rapports avec les Bretons et les Micmacs (métissage), à leur histoire, à leur langue et à leurs coutumes.

Aileen MacDonald
1. Histoire de la Langue (Fr. 3302 et 6102) - je développe le theme de
l'histoire de la langue acadienne et terre-neuvienne avec certain(e)s de mes etudiant(e)s

2. Civilisation acadienne et terre-neuvienne (Fr. 3653)

Natalie Beausoleil
Mon expertise: j'ai enseigné des cours de sociologie sur les francophonies minoritaires au Canada quand j'étais à l'Université d'Ottawa.
Mes intérêts en particulier pour la francophonie d'ici:
- questions identitaires
- jeunesse
- santé et vieillissement des femmes francophones

Magessa O'Reilly
Je m'intéresse à la civilisation et à la langue québécoises et aux rapports éventuels qui les lieraient à d'autres communautés et à d'autres français non hexagonaux.

Cindy Butt
I am interested in the history of how French Newfoundlanders came into being and the language they speak as a result of the history, in particular Dominant English culture.  As well, Jim Maclean suggested I join this newsgroup to help my own research for other Master's level courses.



 
During the round table discussion, it is suggested by Peter Pope that graduate students from the Archaeology Unit and the Department of French work together on developing French sites in the province.  Students from the Department of French could, for example, help Archaeology students with the anaylsis of texts.  It is agreed that it would be great if such collaboration arose between the two departments.  Jim even suggests that it would be interesting to develop a graduate course in the Department of French on the study of historical texts on or by the French in Newfoundland.

Pendant le tour de table, Peter Pope dit qu'il serait bien si les étudiants de deuxième cycle du département d'archéologie et ceux du département d'études françaises travaillaient ensemble pour le développement de sites français dans la province.  Par exemple, les étudiants en français pourraient aider ceux en archéologie à analyser des textes.  Tout le monde est d'accord qu'une telle collaboration entre les deux départements serait géniale.  Jim suggère même que le département de français élabore un cours du deuxième cycle sur l'analyse de textes à caractère historique écrits par ou sur les Français à Terre-Neuve.

Next, debate arises over whether or not the Port-au-Port peninsula, as the only place in the province where French has remained a living language spoken by descendants of early French visitors, should be the common focus of all studies or research carried out by the group.  The common view was that the group's intentions were never to limit its scope to the Port-au-Port peninsula, but rather to investigate the French in Newfoundland and all the possibilities that that entails.  Instead of centring its focus on one region, the group, with its multi-disciplinary approach, should examine several regions and see what commonalities flow from that and then let collaborations develop as they will.  A common focus may eventually come.  It is agreed that the web site should be developed first, which will allow group members to get to know the interests of other members..  

On discute ensuite du rôle de la péninsule de Port-au-Port en tant que dernier bastion français de la province : où la langue française continue à être parlée par les descendants d'anciens visiteurs français.  La péninsule devrait-elle être le point de mire de toutes les études et recherches entreprises par le groupe?  Le consensus est que l'objectif du groupe n'a jamais été de se concentrer uniquement sur la péninsule de Port-au-Port, mais plutôt d'étudier les Français à Terre-Neuve et toutes les possibilités que cela peut entraîner.  Au lieu de cibler une seule région, le groupe, muni de son approche multidisciplinaire, devrait examiner plusieurs régions pour voir ensuite quels sont les points communs qui en résultent.  Les collaborations naîtront en fonction de ces intérêts partagés, et un objectif commun pourrait donc bien se développer.  Les membres conviennent que le site web doit d'abord être créé, ce qui leur permettra de se familiariser avec les intérêts des autres membres.  

Michael says that the web site is not loaded yet but will be soon.  Ron feels that the web site will allow the group to merge with people outside the group, on the other side of the Atlantic for example.  Michael also points out that the web site will be linked from that of the Department of French, but will have its own URL. 

Michael dit que le site web n'est pas encore en ligne mais le sera sous peu.  Ron croit que le site permettra aussi au groupe de se joindre avec des gens de l'extérieur du groupe, comme par exemple de l'Europe.  Michael signale aussi qu'il y aura un lien dans le site web du Département de français menant à celui du groupe, même si celui-ci aura sa propre adresse Internet.

 
5. Miscellaneous/Divers
Marie-Claire announces that Nelson Cazeils, a Frenchman who now lives in Montreal and who is the author of books about fishing and the ocean as well as of historical and ethnographical works about the sea, will be in St. John's in November.  She suggests that the group get together with Mr. Cazeils, who will be delivering a presentation at the Association francophone de Saint-Jean on the evening of November 7th.

Marie-Claire annonce que Nelson Cazeils, un Français qui habite maintenant Montréal et auteur de livres sur la pêche en mer et d'ouvrages historiques et ethnographiques relatifs à la mer, sera de passage à St. John's en novembre.  Elle suggère une rencontre avec Monsieur Cazeils, qui va d'ailleurs donner une présentation le soir du jeudi 7 novembre à l'Association francophone de Saint-Jean.

Gerald says it may be possible to call a meeting to coincide with Mr. Cazeils' visit to the province.  Marie-Claire agrees to raise this idea with Mr. Cazeils. 

Gerald dit qu'il serait peut-être possible de convoquer une réunion du groupe qui coïncide avec la visite de M. Cazeils.  Marie-Claire accepte de parler à M. Cazeils de la possibilité d'une rencontre avec le groupe. 

Éliane suggests that the members of the group send a written description of their interests with respect to French-Newfoundland studies to the secretary, who will include them in the minutes and circulate them to all members.  The others agree.

Éliane suggère que les membres du groupe envoient une description écrite de leurs intérêts en études franco-terreneuviennes au secrétaire, qui se chargera de les faire circuler parmi eux en les incluant dans le procès-verbal.  Les autres sont d'accord.

6.  Adjournment/Levée de la séance.

The meeting is adjourned.  La séance est levée.


MINUTES OF MEETINGS, 2003


PROCÈS-VERBAL DES RÉUNIONS, 2003
#1: 10 - 01- 2003
Third meeting of the French-Newfoundland Studies Research Group
held on January 10, 2003, in the Department of French and Spanish Seminar Room

Troisième réunion du Groupe de recherches en études franco-terreneuviennes
tenue le 10 janvier 2003 dans la salle de séminaire du
Département d’études françaises et hispaniques


In attendance/Présences

Jeff Butt, Joan Woodrow, Amanda Crompton, Patty Wells, Jim Hiller, Éliane Lebel, Bernard Fournier, Johanne Devlin Trew, Mike Wilkshire, Jim MacLean, Peter Ayres, Joan Marie Woodrow, Erin Noel (nouveau membre), Magessa O’Reilly

1. Welcome from the Chair/Mots de bienvenue du président

Gerald welcomes all and wishes everyone a happy new year.

Gerald souhaite la bienvenue et une bonne année à tous.

2. Approval of agenda/Adoption de l’ordre du jour

Adopted without modification.

Adopté sans modification.

3. Approval of minutes of the October 16, 2002 meeting/Adoption du procès-verbal de la réunion du 16 octobre 2002

Adopted without modification.

Adopté sans modification.

4. Joan Woodrow’s presentation/Présentation de Joan Woodrow

Joan delivers her presentation on the French Sedentary Fishery on the Petit Nord.  Several members ask questions after the présentation.

Joan fait une présentation sur les pêcheries sédentaires françaises dans le Petit Nord.  La présentation est suivie d’une série de questions posées par les membres.

5. Web Site Update/Mise à jour sur le site web

    Mike indicates that there is not much new with the web site.  It is currently impossible to     load files directly – this must be done through Mireille Thomas, who looks after the French Department’s web site.  The bibliography, the list of members and some links are on the web site, but the interests of the members are not.  Jim MacLean adds that according to Mireille, it is difficult to house the site under the French Department’s site.  Computing Services has recommended that we create a site under the main university page.  The address would thus be of the sort : www.mun.ca/...

Mike dit qu’il n’y a pas grand-chose à rapporter au sujet du site web.  Il est présentement impossible de télécharger des fichiers directement - cela doit se faire par l’intermédiaire de Mireille Thomas, qui s’occupe de l’entretien du site web du département de français.  La bibliographie y est affichée, ainsi que la liste des membres et des liens, mais pas les descriptions des intérêts des membres.  Jim MacLean ajoute que selon Mireille, c’est difficile d’héberger le site à l’intérieur de celui du département de français.  Le Bureau des Services informatiques recommande la création d’un site à l’intérieur du site principal de l’université, de sorte que l’URL soit du genre : www.mun.ca/...

Jeff says he will send an email to all members as soon as he receives word that the site is open to the public.

Jeff dit qu’il enverra un courriel à tous les membres aussitôt que l’accès au site sera généralisé.

6. Members’ Updates and News/Nouvelles et mises à jour des membres

    Peter says that an appointment will be made in the French Department to fill a position with an individual having a background in French-Newfoundland studies.  So far there have been no applications.  Also, as a member of the Senate, Peter has proposed that an honorary degree be awared to a French-Newfoundlander in 2004.

Peter annonce qu’une nomination sera faite au sein du département de français pour combler un poste par un individu qui aura des antécédents en études franco-terreneuviennes.  Jusqu’à présent, aucune candidature n’a été reçue.  En plus, en tant que membre du Sénat, Peter a proposé qu’en 2004, l’université confère un grade honoris causa à une personnalité franco-terreneuvienne.

Erin Noel introduces herself as a new member of the research group.  She is a graduate student in anthropology and recently completed three months of field work in Cape St. George.  She is conducting research on French-Newfoundland language and culture, specifically what has been done to promote and preserve them over the past thirty years.

Erin Noel se présente comme étant un nouveau membre du groupe de recherches.  Elle fait des études de deuxième cycle en anthropologie et elle vient de passer trois mois à Cap St-Georges où elle effectuait de la recherche sur le terrain.  Elle s’intéresse à la langue et à la culture franco-terreneuviennes, et à ce qui s’est fait pour promouvoir et protéger celles-ci au cours des trente dernières années.

7. Miscellaneous/Divers

Members discuss future meetings of the group and decide that meetings should be held once a month.  It is suggested that the meetings be held on a Friday at 4:00 p.m.  Jeff will determine members’ feelings on the matter.  Monthly meetings will allow members to share their research with the others.  Jeff will see if Françoise Enguehard can present on 2004 at the next meeting.  Gerald says that if she or no one else is available, he will present. 

On discute des prochaines rencontres du groupe de recherches et on finit par décider que les réunions se tiendront une fois par mois, peut-être un vendredi à 16 h.  Jeff sondera les membres du groupe.  Le format mensuel permettra aux membres de partager leurs recherches avec les autres.  Jeff demandera à Françoise Enguehard de présenter sur 2004 lors de la prochaine réunion.  Gerald dit que si elle n’est pas disponible et qu’il n’y ait personne d’autre non plus, il pourra donner une présentation.

8.  Adjournment/Levée de la séance

Gerald adjourns the meeting. 

La séance est levée par Gerald.
#2: 04 - 04 - 2003
Minutes from the meeting of the French-Newfoundland Studies Research Group, on April 4, 2003

Procès-verbal de la réunion du Groupe de recherches sur les études franco-terreneuviennes du 4 avril 2003



1. Research group web site/Site web du groupe de recherches

Jim MacLean offered an update on the web site.  The application forms to get a URLhttp://www.mun.ca were taken to University Relations.  His expectation was that someone there would contact Mike Wilkshire, but no one did.  Jim followed up and was told to go to Computing Services.  There he spoke with Paul Whittle and asked him to contact Mike.  Again, there has been no word to date.  

Jim MacLean donne une mise à jour sur le site web.  Il avait envoyé les formulaires de demande d’une adresse URL à la division des relations universitaires et il s’attendait à ce que quelqu’un contacte Mike Wilkshire.  Comme Mike n’a pas eu de nouvelles, Jim est allé voir Paul Whittle à la division des Services informatiques pour lui dire de communiquer avec Mike.  Encore une fois, on est sans nouvelles.

Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage Web Site/Site web de Patrimoine de Terre-Neuve et du Labrador

Jim Hiller mentioned that he would like to see the web site developed further for 2004, despite the fact that funding has virtually run out.  He feels there is inadequate representation of French history and culture on the site and he therefore wishes the members of the research group to review the site to determine what needs to be added in terms of text and pictures.  As many members of the group are fluently bilingual, translation of material on the English side of the web site or elsewhere may also be possible.  

Jim Hiller mentionne que, malgré qu’il n’y ait pratiquement plus de financement pour le site web, il aimerait que celui-ci se développe davantage en vue de 2004 au niveau du contenu sur l’histoire et la culture françaises.  Il demande donc aux membres du groupe de passer le site en revue afin de repérer les lacunes en ce qui concerne le texte et les images.  Comme plusieurs des membres du groupe de recherches s’expriment couramment en anglais et en français, il serait aussi possible que l’on traduise de l’information contenue dans la version anglaise du site ou recueillie ailleurs.

Jim also mentioned that the Provincial Archives are creating a web site for 2004, but will not duplicate on-line information that already exists.  The Archives will also link toward the Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage web site.  Joan Woodrow added that a library in Corner Brook has received funding to create a web site on French history for 2004.

Jim ajoute que les Archives provinciales mettront sur pied un site web pour 2004.  Ce site ne reproduira pas ce qui existe déjà ailleurs sur Internet et aura un lien vers le site de Patrimoine de Terre-Neuve et du Labrador.  Joan Woodrow rapporte qu’une bibliothèque à Corner Brook a reçu une subvention pour créer un site web sur l’histoire française en 2004.

Jeff Butt says he will send an email to all members regarding the Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage web site.  He will ask them to look at the site and to send any suggestions back to him.  Jeff will forward these along to Jim Hiller.  Jeff also offers to speak with a contact he has at Industry Canada about finding funding to develop the web site further.

Jeff Butt offre d’envoyer un courriel à tous les membres du groupe leur demandant de consulter le site web de Patrimoine de Terre-Neuve et du Labrador et de lui envoyer leurs suggestions.  Il enverra ensuite les suggestions à Jim Hiller.  Jeff offre aussi de parler avec une personne-ressource qu’il connaît au ministère d’Industrie Canada au sujet de la possibilité de procurer des fonds pour le développement du site.  

2. Presentation by Gerald Thomas/Présentation de Gerald Thomas

Gerald presented on the meaning of fairytales.  The presentation is based on a soon-to-be-published article.  

Gerald a donné une présentation sur la signification des contes de fée.  Cette présentation est tirée d’un article qui paraîtra prochainement.

#3: 25 -  06 -  2003
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE FRENCH NEWFOUNDLAND STUDIES RESEARCH GROUP.  June 25, 2003

PROCÈS-VERBAL D’UNE RÉUNION DU GROUPE DE RECHERCHES EN ÉTUDES FRANCO-TERRENEUVIENNES
. Le 25 juin 2003

Present/Présences: Jim MacLean (recording/secrétaire), Gerald Thomas (chair/président), Patty Wells, Mike Wilkshire.

Apologies/Absences: Peter Ayres, Suzan Banoub-Baddour, Jeff Butt, Bernard Fournier, James Hiller, Scott Jamieson, Erin Noel, Peter Pope.

1. St. Anthony conference/Conférence à St. Anthony.  It was agreed that members who participated in the recent conference at St. Anthony (Butt, Hiller, Jamieson, Rompkey, Wilkshire, Woodrow, Pope) would contribute to a panel discussion on the conference as our first activity in September.  Just before this discussion the association will elect its officers (president, secretary, treasurer, Website co-ordinator) for the year 2003-2004. 

Il est convenu que, comme première activité en septembre, les membres qui ont récemment assisté à la conférence à St. Anthony (Butt, Hiller, Jamieson, Rompkey, Wilkshire, Woodrow, Pope) participeront à une discussion en groupe sur la conférence.  Les élections pour choisir un(e)  président(e), un(e) secrétaire, un(e) trésorier(ière) et un(e) coordonnateur(trice) du site Web pour l’année 2003-2004 se tiendront juste avant cette discussion en groupe.

2. Jim MacLean reported on a meeting held in May at the university with Terrence Lonergan of the cultural and political affairs office of the Canadian Embassy in France.  Several members of the FNSRG/GREF (Hiller, MacLean, Pope, Rompkey) were present. Mr. Lonergan described projects of the Embassy and French partners, including the digitization of French archives relating to Canada and student exchange programmes, and he was informed of activities in this province, including the work of the FNSRG/GREF. Mike Wilkshire noted that provincial archivist Shelly Smith will be going to France this summer.

Jim MacLean rapporte qu’en mai dernier, une réunion a eu lieu à l’université avec Terrence Lonergan du bureau des affaires culturelles et politiques de l’Ambassade canadienne en France.  Plusieurs membres du FNSRG/GREF (Hiller, MacLean, Pope, Rompkey) y étaient présents.  M. Lonergan avait dressé le portrait des projets de l’Ambassade et des partenaires français, dont la numérisation d’archives françaises relatives au Canada et les échanges d’élèves/étudiants.  On l’avait également informé des activités se déroulant dans cette province, y compris les travaux du FNSRG/GREF.  Mike Wilkshire note que Shelly Smith, l’archiviste provinciale, ira en France cet été.  

3. Discussion of FNSRG/GREF Website/Discussion du site Web du FNSRG/GREF:


* Mike Wilkshire was congratulated on the site he has created. 
* On félicite Mike Wilkshire d’avoir créé le site Web.

* Jim MacLean explained problems that had arisen with M.U.N. Communicating and Communications causing delays during the winter in acquiring the mun.ca site.
* Jim MacLean explique les problèmes qui sont survenus avec MUN Communicating and Communications et qui ont retardé l’obtention du site mun.ca l’hiver dernier.

* Mike announced a couple of impending editorial changes, especially listing e-mail addresses in a "non-clickable" format.
* Mike annonce que quelques changements éditoriaux doivent être faits, surtout la présentation d’adresses courriels en format “non cliquable”.

Most of the remaining discussion concerned the bibliography/La plus grande partie de la conversation s’est désormais portée sur la bibliographie:

* Appreciation was expressed to Jeff Butt for providing the base for a good start to our bibliography.
* On félicite Jeff Butt d’avoir fourni un bon point de départ pour la bibliographie.

* Gerald Thomas expressed his wish that where possible the text itself of the articles listed in the bibliography be posted on the site.
* Gerald Thomas dit qu’il souhaite voir affiché dans le site, là où ce sera possibe, le texte même des articles qui figureront à la bibliographie.

* Audio-visual documents could also be posted.
* Des documents audio-visuels peuvent aussi y être affichés.

* This posting would be a major project requiring staff assistance.  The Group should look into the possibilities of SSHRC or other funding for this in the new academic year.
* Ce genre d’affichage constituerait un important projet nécessitant de l’aide consultative.  Le groupe devrait donc examiner les possibilités de financement (SSHRC ou autre) une fois la nouvelle année universitaire amorcée.

* Gerald Thomas suggested that the bibliography itself be organized in a data base searchable by, for example, author, subject, and place.
* Gerald Thomas suggère que la bibliographie soit organisée dans une base de données de sorte à pouvoir faire une recherche selon l’auteur, le sujet et le lieu, par exemple.

* Mike Wilkshire would like to discuss this with someone having expertise in such data bases.  Patty Wells suggested contacting Group members Peter Pope and Amanda Crompton.
* Mike Wilkshire aimerait discuter de ce projet avec quelqu’un qui a des compétences en matière de bases de données.  Patty Wells suggère de contacter Peter Pope et Amanda Crompton, membres du groupe.
* It was agreed that members of the Group shall be invited to forward to Mike suggested subject fields for the data base by mid-September.
* Il est convenu que si les membres du groupe ont des idées quant aux domaines possibles pour la base de données, ils les enverront à Mike.

* Short entries on the Website concerning each member's research interests: Mike will create these entries by editing the descriptions provided by each member and recorded in the minutes of October 16th, 2002.  Mike's proposed entries will be sent to members for their approval and then posted on the Website.
* Descriptions brèves dans le site Web des intérêts personnels de chacun des membres: Mike créera ces entrées en révisant les descriptions fournies par chacun des membres et consignées au  procès-verbal du 16 octobre 2002.  Mike enverra aux membres l’entrée qu’il aura proposée pour chacun d’entre eux; les entrées seront affichées dans le site Web une fois approuvées par les membres.

* Links to other sites: Mike will send a message to all members inviting them to submit to him links to outside pages.
* Liens avec d’autres sites: Mike enverra un message à tous les membres afin de les inviter à lui proposer des liens vers des pages extérieures. 

J.M.



Accueil
English version
Liste des membres
Bibliographie
Liens
Procès-verbal des réunions
Images du French Shore
Contactez-nous

Welcome
Version française
List of members
Bibliography
Links
Minutes of meetings
 French Shore Images
Contact us

Last modified by Michael Wilkshire July 2004 / Derniere modification par Michael Wilkshire juillet 2004