Members of presidential search committee named
Memorial University’s Board of Regents has appointed the members of the committee that will recruit the university’s next president. The Presidential Search Committee (PSC) is charged with finding a successor to Dr. Axel Meisen, who will complete his term in August 2008 as the ninth president in Memorial’s history, after serving in the role since 1999.
The committee appointments were approved at the May 22, 2007, meeting of the board.
Gil Dalton, the chair of the Board of Regents, said that the committee represents a wide range of interests.
“This 18-person committee includes members of the public, board members, and representation from the business, academic and student communities,” he said. “This committee has been charged to develop a profile of the position, explore the suitability of candidates and ultimately recruit a person well-suited to lead Memorial University through the next phase of its history.
“The university is one of the province’s most significant social, cultural and economic assets and the job of university president is a complex one with many aspects. I am confident that this group of men and women, drawn from all parts of the province, will bring diverse perspectives to bear on the search for a new president of Memorial,” Mr. Dalton said.
The committee will hold its first meeting on Tuesday, June 26. Memorial’s president is appointed by the Board of Regents, in consultation with the university’s Senate and with the approval of the lieutenant-governor-in-council.
Membership of the PSC is as follows:
• The chair of the Board of Regents, chair of the committee, Gil Dalton.
• Four other board members, chosen by the chair: Mary Broderick, Brian Dalton, Dr. Jim Igloliorte and Earl Ludlow.
• Five members of the faculty, chosen by the senate, with at least one member from each of the St. John’s campus, Sir Wilfred Grenfell College and the Marine Institute: Dr. Robert Adamec, Department of Psychology, Faculty of Science; Dr. Wayne Andrews, Faculty of Medicine; Shane O’Dea, Department of English Language and Literature, Faculty of Arts; Barbara Hunt, Visual Arts, Grenfell College; and Cyr Couturier, Centre for Aquaculture and Seafood Development, Marine Institute.
• Three students, chosen by the chair after consultation with the presidents of the Memorial University Student Union, the Marine Institute Students’ Union, the Graduate Students Union and the Grenfell College Council of the Students’ Union: Meghan Mitchell, MUNSU; Daniel Smith, GCSU; and Nicole Kieley, GSU.
• An academic administrator, chosen by them from among themselves: Dr. Reeta Tremblay, dean, Faculty of Arts.
• A non-academic administrator, chosen by them from among themselves: Lisa Hollett, director, Department of Human Resources.
• Two members of the public-at-large, chosen by the chair: Ruud Zoon, general manager, east coast development, Husky Energy; and Rick Gill, executive vice-president, Voisey’s Bay Nickel Company.
The secretary of the board be the secretary of the committee; Eleanor Bennett.