(Oct. 31, 1996)

Elaine Veronica Deluney

Elaine Deluney, a tenured librarian and head of Technical Services in the Health Sciences Library, died Oct. 14; she was 32 years old.

Ms. Deluney grew up in Benoit's Cove, Bay of Islands, and earned degrees from Memorial (BA honors, 1985) and the University of Western Ontario (MLIS, 1990). As a Memorial student, she worked in the Maritime History Archives and the Department of History. She joined the Health Sciences Library in January 1992 after spending five years at Western's D. B. Weldon Library.

"She was a dear friend and a valued colleague," said Su Cleyle, Queen Elizabeth II Library. "She had a great ability to keep projects focused without losing sight of what her staff and the library needed. No one was more dedicated than Elaine."

"She inspired everyone with her strength, creativity and sense of humor," said Pam Frampton, Gazette, who was also a friend. "But what struck me especially was her sense of fairness, her insight; she could always see more than her own point of view."

An active member of the community, Ms. Deluney was a member of the St. John's Choir, and with her husband, Don Duffie, played a major volunteer role in the development of the Patient Resource Centre at the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Centre, St. John's. The Patient Resource Centre is an important source of information for people with cancer and their families; donations in Ms. Deluney's memory may be made to the centre.

In addition to her husband and his family, Ms. Deluney is survived by her parents, Katie and Cecil Deluney, five sisters and eight brothers and their families, and a large circle of friends, colleagues and other relatives.

Dr. Peter Joseph Heald

Dr. Peter Heald, Memorial's dean of science from 1978-86, died Oct. 3 at the age of 70.

Dr. Heald was born in Winslow, Scotland. After earning a B.Sc. and an M.Sc. from the University of Manchester, in 1947 he joined the Rowett Research Institute in Aberdeen and conducted some of the earliest research on pentosan fermentation and protozoan metabolism.

In 1952 he received a PhD from the University of Aberdeen and moved to the Research Laboratories of Maudsley Hospital, London. There, in addition to teaching at the University of London, he initiated a major study of phosphate metabolism in cerebral tissues, work which subsequently gained him a D.Sc. from the University of Manchester, and promotion to senior lecturer and deputy head of the hospital's Department of Biochemistry.

In 1961 Dr. Heald joined the new Twyford Laboratories as head of the Department of Animal Biochemistry. Five years later he was given the first chair of biochemistry at the University of Strathclyde. Dr. Heald was also editor of Biochimica Biophysica Acta from 1962-72.

He came to Memorial in 1978 as dean of science and tenured professor of biochemistry, and soon gained a reputation as a strong administrative and academic leader in the large faculty.

"He did much to promote the faculty and systematize its processes, including evaluations for tenure and promotion and the assessment of departments," recalled Dr. Kevin Keough, Memorial's vice-president (research), and a professor of biochemistry. "He was a strong promoter of research and its potential application in the broader community."

Dr. Heald was re-appointed dean of science in 1983, and served until 1986. The next year he took a special leave to work at the University of Warwick. In 1987 he retired and returned to Great Britain. At the time of his death he lived in Strathdon in Dumbartonshire, Scotland.

Bertram Wallace Tucker

Bert Tucker, who served as secretary to the Board of Regents from 1976 until his retirement in 1980, died Oct. 10 at the age of 83.

Mr. Tucker was born on Bell Island, and later served in the 166 Royal Artillery during the Second World War, travelling as far afield as Italy and Africa. Before and after the war he worked for the Dominion Steel and Coal Corporation Ltd.

In 1967 Mr. Tucker began working at Memorial as a personnel officer in the personnel department (now Human Resources).

Eleanor Bennett, current secretary to the Board of Regents, started working with Mr. Tucker in 1971.

"He was a fantastic person -- very nice, a real gentleman," she said. "In 1972 we moved to a new office, called staff relations, which reported to the Office of the Assistant Vice-President (Administration). He was staff relations officer and I was his assistant."

In 1976 Mr. Tucker was appointed secretary of the Board of Regents, and Ms. Bennett was deputy secretary.

"He got along well with everybody, and loved his job," she recalled. "Fred Russell [now lieutenant-governor of the province] was chair at the time, and Mr. Tucker worked well with him and all of the other board members."

Mr. Tucker is survived by his wife, Irene; sons, Ivan and Bert; daughter, Janice, and by many other relatives and friends.