Papers & Presentations
DR. LAWRENCE CRIM, ANTHONY MANNING, CONNIE SHORT, ZUXU YAO,
BUMIN SHANGGUAN, SUSAN CLEARWATER and ZHILAN WANG, Ocean Sciences
Centre, attended the Fifth International Symposium on Reproductive Physiology of Fish, held in
Austin, Tex. They presented:
- Variability in Egg Quality and Production in a Batch-Spawning Flounder, (Pleuronectes
ferrugineus) by A. J. Manning and Dr. Crim.
- The Effects of Stress on Spawning Performance and Larval Development in Atlantic Cod,
(Gadus mohura), by C. E. Short, Dr. Crim and M. J. Morgan.
- Cryopreservation, Motility and Ultrastructural Changes of Sperm from the Ocean Pout
(Macrozoarces americanus L.), an Internally Fertilizing Marine Teleost, by Z. Yao, Dr. Crim,
G. F. Richardson and C. J. Emerson.
- Effects of Stripping Frequency on the Seasonal Spermiation Response and Sperm Quality in
Male Winter Flounder, (Pleuronectes americanus)(Walbaum), by B. Shangguan and Dr. Crim.
- Milt Quality and Quantity Produced by Yellowtail Flounder (Pleuronectes ferrugineus)
following GnRH-Analogue Treatment by Microspheres or Pellet, by S. J. Clearwater and Dr.
Dr. Crim also presented a paper, Progress in Development of Yellowtail Flounder Aquaculture
Research, at the Newfoundland Aquaculture Association meeting in Grand Falls-Windsor.
- Reproductive Mechanisms Associated with Internal Fertilization of Eggs in a Benthic Marine
Teleost, the Ocean Pout (Macrozoarces americanus), by Dr. Crim, Z. Yao and Z. Wang. Aspects of Spermatogenesis and Spermiogenesis in Ocean Pout (Macrozoarces americanus),
by Z. Wang and Dr. Crim.
DR. FEREIDOON SHAHIDI, Biochemistry, was invited as a keynote speaker at the
International Conference on Food Factors: Chemistry and Cancer Prevention, held in Hamamatsu,
Japan. Dr. Shahidi's presentation was titled Antioxidants from Oilseeds and their
Anticarcinogenicity. Dr. Shahidi also visited a number of industries, tea plantation areas and
processing plants, as well as the Japan Institute for the Control of Aging.
Dr. Shahidi was the Canadian program chair for agrochemistry of the International Chemical
Congress of Pacific Basin Societies (Pacifichem '95) held in Honolulu. He was also organizer of
two symposia at the conference: Process-Induced Chemical Changes in Foods, and Analytical and
Biochemical Aspects of Seafood Safety and Nutrition. Dr. Shahidi chaired seven sessions of the
conference and presented a number of papers:
- Control of Oxidation of Marine Oils by Natural antioxidants, authored with U. N.
Wanasundara and R. Amarowicz.
- A Novel Edible Marine Oil and its Stabilization, with U. N. Wanasundara.
- Preparation of Novel Nitrite-free Processed Means, with R. B. Pegg.
- Process-induced Chemical Changes in Production of Novel Seafood Protein Concentrates,
with V. Venugopal and A. C. Onodenalore.
- Nutritional Aspects of Marine Lipids, with U. N. Wanasundara and R. Amarowicz.