Learn how to manage the HR policy life cycle. Discover the benefits of HR policies and why organizations need an employee handbook and clear HR policies/procedures to reduce risk, improve employee relations, and to facilitate consistent management decision making.
This seminar reviews human resources policy methodology and uses a nine stage policy development approach and implementation model. This approach combines key policy considerations, tasks, and stakeholder consultation to ensure understanding and buy-in to policy intent and content. The key to successful policy adoption is consultation combined with a committed Senior Management Sponsor.
This seminars learning objectives are to ensure that participants who complete the course finish with an understanding of how to write a new HR policy; and also how to critically assess and identify gaps in an existing HR policy. Participants also will learn how to put together an employee communications plan for rolling out new and amended HR policies; and key considerations for how to interpret and respond to employee HR policy questions.
Key provisions from Newfoundland & Labradors Human Rights Act and Labour Standards Act that relate to HR policies will be covered. It is critical that policies are aligned with legislation to maintain credibility; and to support managers in their decision making and people management practices.
This is a module in the Human Resource Professional Program.
This session is most applicable to HR Managers, small business owners, and people managers.
This seminar is broken down into 5 sections:
- Purpose of HR policy
- Policy versus procedure
- Policy writing best practices
- Avoiding common policy writing pitfalls
- Examples of best practice policies
- Policy and procedure template
- Guidelines template
- Policy development method
- Off-the-Shelf HR policy manual
- Mandatory policies based on legislative requirements and reducing risk
- Factoring in collective agreements and consideration of policy grievances
- Policy communication
- Policy interpretation
- Alignment with HR strategy
- Knowledge management
- Policy approval and buy-in
- Policy evaluation and maintenance
- Recap (HR policy top ten list)
Inquire about future dates or request a specific delivery of this offering for a group.