MacEdward Leach and the Songs of Atlantic Canada

St. Shott's


Known locally as the “Graveyard of the Atlantic,” due to the vast number of shipwrecks in the area, St. Shott’s is located on the southern tip of the Avalon Peninsula. The name of the community is believed to be derived from the one assigned by French cartographers; Cap De Chincete refers to the rugged coastline and underwater shoals. Used by French, Basque, Spanish, Portuguese, and West Country English fishers as a summer fishing station during the 16th and 17th centuries, it was settled by English and Irish fishers during the 18th century, after the Anglo-French wars.

During his visit in 1951, Leach collected from the following members of the St. Shott’s community:

  • Nicholas Davis
  • Nick Davis (Nicholas?)
  • George Finlay
  • Tom Finlay
  • Mr. Fitzgerald
  • Frank Knox
  • Mrs. K. McCarthy
  • Mrs. August Molloy
  • Mrs. Ella Molloy
  • Mrs. Frank Molloy
  • J. Molloy
  • Jack Molloy
  • Jim Molloy
  • John Molloy
  • Mrs. John Molloy
  • John C. Molloy
  • Leonard Molloy
  • Mrs. Leonard Molloy
  • Mike Molloy
  • Pat Molloy
  • Peter Molloy
  • Jack Myrick
  • John Myrick
  • Mrs. Ryan
  • Joe Sutton

 



 


 

Calvert | Cape Broyle | Cape Ray | Curling | Flatrock | Port au Port | Port Aux Basques | Pouch Cove | St. Georges | Tors Cove