Located just southeast of Trepassey, on the section of the Avalon Peninsula known as the Southern Shore, is the small coastal community of Portugal Cove South. Believed to have been named after the homeland of the migratory fishers that worked in the area in the 1500s, Portugal Cove South was also used by the Basque, French and English as a temporary fishing station. The community became a permanent settlement in the late 1700s, when William Henry of Waterford County, Ireland, took up residence.
This community was put on the geological map in 1967 when geologists S.B. Misra and P. Thompson discovered rare, ancient, deep-water marine fossil formations in nearby Mistaken Point. In 1987, it was declared an Ecological Reserve and has been nominated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
In 1951 Leach collected songs from Marie Hartery, a resident of Portugal Cove South.Other Newfoundland Communities: