Located on the southeast coast of the eastern Avalon Peninsula in St. Mary’s Bay, Mall Bay is a coastal community currently accessible by a small gravel highway turning off from Route 90, just north of the town of St. Mary’s. In the 1700s, regional fishermen were attracted to the abundant salmon and timber resources of the area; permanent settlement occurred in the early 1800s.
The place was originally referred to as "Mal Bay" or "Maul Bay." The name is thought to be derived from the French word meaning "bad" or "ill."
While visiting the community in 1951, Leach collected songs from Mike Roark.Other Newfoundland Communities: