Photo by Stacey MacLean: Overlooking the Judique Banks from Hillsdale. The mainland of Nova Scotia is barely visible on the horizon.
Previously known as Beinn Noah (Noah’s Mountain), this tiny community near Judique in Inverness County was named Hillsdale in 1837, following the creation of the County of Inverness. Most of the area’s settlers came from various regions of the Western Highlands and Inner Hebrides of Scotland.
Although Hillsdale was once a thriving farming community, the population has been slowly declining since before the second World War.