Fermeuse is located just south of Ferryland on the eastern Avalon Peninsula on the Southern Shore. Like other communities in the area, Fermeuse was used as a summer fishing station in the 1500s by the Portuguese and is referred to on early Portuguese maps as R. Fermoso and Rio Fremoze. It is believed that the name is derived from the Portuguese for "beautiful river." Originally settled by English migratory fishermen in the early 1700s, by the late 1800s those of Irish descent comprised a significant portion of the settlement population.
While visiting the community in 1951, Leach collected songs from Mrs. T. Ghaney, Mr. MacDonald and Mike Welsh.Other Newfoundland Communities: