Photo: Cape Ray Beach. Photo by Jim Cornish, Gander. Used by permission.
Cape Ray is located just northwest of Port aux Basques in the Codroy Valley. Once the home of Dorset Paleoeskimos, Cape Ray was first settled by Europeans in the mid-nineteenth century. In 1856, the community became the terminus of the first submarine telegraph cable (to New York). There were two schools in the community by 1901 and one Roman Catholic church. Most people grew carrots, cabbage, potatoes and turnips and kept animals, such as sheep for wool, cows for milk, and cattle, pigs and chickens for meat. This community, like so many others in Newfoundland, depended on the fishery as the main means of employment.
In the 1880s, the Government of Canada erected a lighthouse and fog whistle on the western side of Cape Ray. The light can be seen at a distance of 32 kilometres or 20 miles in clear weather.Other Newfoundland Communities: