There are frequently persons who enjoy jogging or running. These persons can be susceptible to criminal attack. One of the problems with joggers or runners is that they can become so preoccupied in their physical activity that they fail to be alert and pay attention to their surroundings. They sometimes become too busy concentrating how much further they have to go and on putting one foot in front of the next that they don’t realize what is happening around them.
The following are a series of personal safety tips for joggers and runners:
• Jog or run with a known companion.
• Jog or run in a familiar area.
• Do not jog or run in a heavily wooded, poorly lighted, or secluded area.
• Particularly if jogging or running alone, don’t wear radio or recorder earphones.
• Do not jog or run after dark.
• Do not jog or run near bushes which can provide concealment.
• Wear bright colored clothing to improve your visibility.
• Vary your route and pattern of jogging or running.
• Carry a whistle or high decibel battery-powered personal alarm device when you jog or run.
• If followed, go to the nearest residence, open business, or group of people.
• Carry your motor vehicle and/or home key with you.