Postdoctoral Fellow, Sessional Professor (2012-2014)
M.Sc. (Sharif University of Technology, Iran); PhD (Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada)
I have a M.Sc. in Civil Engineering and a PhD (2009 – 2012) in Safety and Risk Engineering, majoring on probabilistic risk analysis of major natural – technological accidents.
Since 2012, as the Lead of Accident Modeling and Risk Analysis, I have been teaching, conducting research, and co-supervising graduate students at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Currently, my research is focused on risk analysis of rare (low-frequency, high consequence) accidents using accident precursors and Bayesian analysis.
I have been awarded the Governor General’s Gold Medal for excellence in PhD studies (the highest academic award in graduate studies), the David Dunsiger Award for excellence in PhD studies in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science, and the Fellow of the School of Graduate Studies. I have also authored one book, co-authored one book chapter, and published several research papers in peer-reviewed journals:
- Khakzad N, Khan F, Amyotte P. Quantitative risk analysis of offshore drilling operations: a Bayesian approach. Safety Science 2013; 57: 108 – 117
- Khakzad N, Khan F, Amyotte P. Dynamic safety analysis of process systems by mapping bow-tie into Bayesian network. Process Safety and Environmental Protection 2013; 91: 46 – 53
- Khakzad N, Khan F, Amyotte P. Risk-based design of process systems using discrete-time Bayesian networks. Reliability Engineering and System Safety 2013; 109: 5 – 17
- Khakzad N, Khan F, Amyotte P, Cozzani V. Domino effect analysis using Bayesian networks. Risk Analysis 2013; 33(2): 292-306
- Khakzad N, Khan F, Amyotte P. Dynamic risk analysis using bow-tie approach. Reliability Engineering and System Safety 2012; 104: 36 – 44
- Khakzad N, Khan F, Amyotte P. Safety analysis in process facilities: comparison of fault tree and Bayesian network approaches. Reliability Engineering and System Safety 2011; 96: 925 – 932
- Khakzad N, Firoozabadi B, Farhanieh B. Numerical investigation of steady density currents flowing down an incline using v2-f turbulence model. Journal of Fluids Engineering (Transactions of ASME) 2007; 129(9): 1172 – 1178