Dr. Scott Johnston
Faculty of Education
- The debate on the future of Philosophy of Education: the need for a Systematic Philosophy of Education
- The History of Educational Ideas: German Educational Theory from 1781-1831; History and Philosophy of Bildung; the Role of Consciousness and Self-consciousness in German Educational Theory
- John Dewey’s logical theory
- Pragmatism, Democracy, and Globalization
- John Dewey’s theory of Inquiry and education inquiry in cosmopolitical contexts
- John Dewey in China; Lessons for Democracy
- The moral theory of Immanuel Kant and its place in Education
- Inquiry and Education: John Dewey and the Quest for Democracy. Albany: SUNY Press, 2006.
- Deweyan Inquiry: From Educational Theory to Practice. Albany: SUNY Press, 2009.
- Kant’s Philosophy: A Study for Educators. London: Bloomsbury, 2013.
- John Dewey’s Earlier Logical Theory. Albany: SUNY Press, 2014.
- Nietzsche as Educator: a Re-examination (1998). [PDF]
- Dewey’s Critique of Kant (2006). [PDF]
- The Education of the Categorical Imperative (2006). [PDF]
- Rights and Goods: Procedural Liberalism and Educational Policy (2007). [PDF]
- Moral Law and Moral Education: Defending Kantian Autonomy (2007). [PDF]
- Does a Sentiment-based Ethics Improve upon a Principles-based One? The Problem of Impartial Morality (2008) [PDF]
- Prioritizing Rights in the Social Justice Curriculum (2008). [PDF]
- John Dewey’s ‘Naturalized Hegelianism’ in Operation: Experimental Inquiry as Self-Consciousness (2010). [PDF]
- The Dewey-Hutchins Debate: A Dispute over Moral Teleology (2011).
- Schools as Ethical or Schools as Political? Habermas between Dewey and Rawls (2011). [PDF]
- In the Service of Competing Agendas: Habermas between Dewey and Rawls (2012).
- To What Sort of Metaphysical Realism does Peirce Subscribe? Reflections on James Bradley’s Account of Firstness (2012). [PDF]
- Theorizing Globalization: Rival Philosophical Schools of Thought (2013).
- Rival Readings of Hegel at the Fin de Siècle: the Case of William Torrey Harris and John Dewey History of Education (2013). [PDF]