To investigate three occurrences:
1. The height of males and females.
2. The length of a male and a female hand.
3. How to calculate mean, median, mode.
T = Totals.
1. The class will be arranged into groups of 3 or 4 persons.
2. Each group will be give a meter stick and four sets of data sheets,
(one set per person).
3. First we will measure the height of each person in the group.
Record the heights on a scrap piece of paper. The heights must be
measured to three significant digits. Make sure that you separate
the male data from the female data.
4. Next we will measure the length of the hands. Record the
length of the right hand, (for both male and female), on a scrap sheet
of paper. The measurements are to be calculated to three significant
digits. Make sure that you separate the male data from the female
5. Hand in the data that you recorded to the teacher. This
data is called raw data.
6. All of the raw data will be recorded on the overhead. Transfer
the raw data from the overhead to Table 1.
7. Use the raw data to fill in Table 2 (for height)
and Table 3 (for hand length). You must find the following
data, for each table:
a = Mean (average).
b = Median (the middle number).
c = Mode (the number that occurs the most.
here to return to Lesson Plan.
Note use the extra sheet of paper to show your workings for
all calculations. If you need any help calculating the data you can
refer to the notes handed out at the beginning of class, or you can ask