Digital Lab Tasks
A task schedule posted on the wall at each of the two instructor stations lists the tasks that should be accomplished by each shift. As you finish a task, please record the completion of the task in the grid located at the front of the Training Manual. This way, monitors working after you can see what needs finishing!
General rule: If in doubt, ASK !!!
Most of the following rules are very common sense. Overall try to be considerate of your fellow monitors and the students you are helping.
- At least one monitor must be present in the Digital Language Centre at all times. If no one is available to replace you when your shift is over, let the monitor in the other lab or the director know. If you are the only monitor present, be sure to circulate back and forth between labs until both are staffed.
- French monitors may be required to conduct one or more conversation classes per week. The director will notify monitors and post schedules as required.
- Monitors must keep the monitor station clean. If your shift did not have sufficient time to clear away any materials that were used, ask the incoming monitors to do it.
- Socializing by monitors during work hours should be kept to a minimum.
- Monitors should not do their assignments, read novels or engage in personal surfing during their shifts. Once the assigned tasks are done and your shift is not yet complete, check to see if other work needs doing.
Monitors' Checklist For every Shift
Before your lab...
- check D2L and monitor station for new notices.
During your lab..
- enter sign-in information on clipboard for students having trouble signing in online
- be sure to indicate any defective computers or technical problems on the technical problems clipboard, and to Karin if they are serious (eg. no sound on the instructor's computer.
- make any announcements as indicated (see below).
- do the lab tasks indicated on the Lab Task Schedule on the bulletin board, and then any other tasks that are outstanding, for example, digitizing cassette tapes.
Before you leave..
- restore all desktops to the sign-in system.
- turn off the projector if no class lab or orientation is incoming.
- collect any papers or debris that may have been left by students.
- if possible, wait until the next monitor arrives.
- If the next monitor has not arrived on time, alert Karin. (Shifts begin at 5 minutes to the hour.)