The following information is based on Canadian citizenship only (other nationalities will need to review the passport criteria associated with their home country):
- Passports are required for any international travel.
- Apply as soon as possible as wait times vary and unknown delays could surface.
- Application forms are available:
- From any post office or travel agency; or
- From the Passport Office: TD Place, Suite 702, 140 Water Street, St. John's.
- For processing times, please visit: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?lang=eng&id=q2401. For a fee, you can arrange for emergency processing by visiting the Passport Canada Office in person.
- Passports must have at least 6 months validity left after the intended return date to Canada.
- Make 3 copies of passport before leaving home:
- Leave one at home;
- Bring one with you but keep separate from your passport; and
- Leave the third with a person of trust such as the Co-operative Education Services Coordinator located in the University Centre, 4th Floor, UC4000. You can reach them at 709-864-2419 or email@example.com.
- If your passport becomes lost or stolen:
- Report the loss or stolen passport immediately to the local police and to the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate.
- The photocopied passport should be enough to convince the Canadian Embassy or consulate of your citizenship in order to obtain a replacement.
For more information about Canadian passports, please visit Passport Canada's official website at http://www.ppt.gc.ca/.