Emergency Closing Information
Memorial University, with campuses in St. John’s and at Sir Wilfred Grenfell College in Corner Brook, is a residential institution therefore it is essential we maintain our operations and schedules, even when tasked with emergencies. The university will not close except under unusual circumstances. In the event of severe weather or other emergencies, if Memorial has to cancel classes or to close, information will be made available as quickly as possible through several communications vehicles.
Memorial’s web alert system will be activated if there is an emergency class cancellation or closure advisory. A message will be posted on the university’s home page outlining the emergency announcement. Check the websites:
Listen to local radio stations.
St. John’s and area:
- CBC Radio One 640 AM
- VOCM 590 AM
- OZFM 94.7 FM
- Coast 101.1 FM
- CHMR. 93.5 FM
Corner Brook and area:
- CBC Radio One 990 AM
- CFCB 570 AM
- K-Rock 103.9 FM
In St. John’s, call the campus switch board: 737-8000 or telephone registration system: 737-9949.
In Corner Brook, call the Grenfell College campus switchboard: 637-6200
University e-mail account holders will receive an e-mail message if they are subscribed to MUN Newsline e-mail service. If you are not receiving Newsline, e-mail email@example.com. E-mail account holders at Sir Wilfred Grenfell College will receive an e-mail announcing cancellations from the college's communications co-ordinator, if they have subscribed to this service.
Check departmental office doors for daytime cancellation or closure information.
During inclement weather or in the case of an emergency:
- The St. John’s campus, including the Marine Institute and the MUNSU/MUN Childcare Centre, will follow its own emergency operation schedule. The decision to cancel classes or to close will be made by President Axel Meisen (or his designate) with advice coming from various other offices on campus, notably Facilities Management, which remains in close contact with Environment Canada as weather systems develop.
- Grenfell College in Corner Brook will follow its own emergency operating schedule. Principal John Ashton (or his designate) makes the decision to cancel classes or close the college in consultation with Vice-principal Holly Pike and Dennis Waterman, director of Administration and Finance.
- The Works recreational facilities on the St. John’s campus will follow its own emergency operating schedule. For information, check the local radio stations listed above or phone 737-3797 or check www.theworksonline.ca.
- The Marine Institute’s Offshore Safety and Survival Centre in Foxtrap will follow its own emergency operating schedule. For information, check the local radio stations listed above or phone 834-2076.
- Library Services at Memorial will not be provided when there a closure due to inclement weather or an emergency at one of the campuses during regular hours. On weekends or on holidays, when classes and general services are not offered, patrons should check the university websites listed above and listen to local radio stations. Patrons can also phone the following numbers for a recorded message: 737-7425 for the Queen Elizabeth II Library; 777-6671 for the Health Sciences Library; 778-0662 for the C.R. Barrett Library; and 637-6267 for the Ferris Hodgett Library.
Advisories for late openings and all-day closings will be issued by 7 a.m. Early closings during daytime will be announced at least one hour in advance.