Graduate students who join the CCLAS research team contribute in a number of ways to the advancement of knowledge. Most obviously, their primary concerns are research projects undertaken in partial fulfillment of the MA of Ph.D programs. For a list of these works we refer you to Graduate theses and manuscripts.
As well, graduate students participate in presenting their work, or work they are collaboratively involved in, at conferences, and as published works. A complete list of CCLAS publications and presentations is availabe (with downloads where these are available) at publications and presentations. Below, in order to showcase their work, we list only the publications and presentations which involve graduate students (whose names appear in boldface type).
CCLAS publications by or with the participation of graduate students (updated November 27, 2014)
- Knee, Sarah. To appear. "Vowel devocalization in Northern East Cree." The Canadian Journal of Linguistics.
- Thorburn, Jennifer. 2014. "Acquiring Northern East Cree: A case study". In Papers of the Forty-Second Algonquian Conference, eds. M. Macaulay & J.R. Valentine. Albany, NY: SUNY Press, pp. 263-280.
- Dyck, Carrie, Alethea Power and Kevin Terry. 2014. "Syncope in East Cree: Phonological or phonetic?" In Papers of the Forty-Second Algonquian Conference, eds. M. Macaulay & J.R. Valentine. Albany, NY: SUNY Press, pp. 120-133.
- Brittain, Julie & Sara Acton. 2014. "The lexicon-syntax interface: Root semantics as an indirect determinant of intransitive verb syntax in Cree". International Journal of American Linguistics 80:4, pp. 475-506.
- Rose, Yvan, Julie Brittain, Carrie Dyck and Erin Swain. 2010. "The Acquisition of Metrical Opacity: A Longitudinal Case Study from Northern East Cree." In Proceedings of the 34th Annual Boston University Conference on Language Development (volume 2), edited by Katie Franich, Kate M. Iserman, and Lauren L. Keil. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press, pp. 339-350.
CCLAS presentations by or with the participation of graduate students
- 2013. Pile, Stephanie. "Cree-English code mixing in child and child-directed speech: A case study from Northern East Cree." Aldrich Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Conference, Memorial University. April 27.
- 2012. Julie Brittain & Sara Johansson. "The expression of Algonquian subject constraints as teleological capability." Department of Linguistics Seminar Series, Memorial University, November 21.
- 2012. Johansson, Sara. "From unanalyzed chunks to grammatical discovery: A case study of passive acquisition in Northern East Cree." Brown Bag Series, University of Calgary Department of Linguistics, November 14.
- 2012. Brittain, Julie & Sara Johansson. "Deriving sentience effects from the interaction of syntax and (real-world) semantics." The 44th Algonquian Conference, University of Chicago, October 28.
- 2012. Knee, Sarah. "When is a cluster not a cluster? A Northern East Cree case study". The 44th Algonquian Conference, University of Chicago, October 27.
- 2012. Johansson, Sara. "Acquiring Northern East Cree verbal morphology: Evidence from inchoative verbs." The 2012 meeting of the Canadian Linguistic Association, Wilfred Laurier University, May 26.
- 2012. Johansson, Sara & Julie Brittain. "East Cree verbs of emission: A unified analysis of the inchoative (-piyi)." Department of Linguistics Seminar Series, Memorial University, March 12.
- 2012. Johansson, Sara. "Verbs of (sound) emission in Algonquian: A comparison of subjects in Blackfoot and Cree." Aldrich Interdisciplinary Conference, Memorial University, March 2.
- 2012. Johansson, Sara & Julie Brittain. "The lexical semantics of (Northern East) Cree verbs of emission: a unified analysis of â€“piyi." 86th Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America (Society for the Study of the Indigenous Languages of the Americas), Portland, Oregon, January 7.
- 2010. Dyck, Carrie, Alethea Power, Kevin Terry & Kelly Logan. "Syncope in East Cree: Phonological or Phonetic?" The 42nd Algonquian Conference, Memorial University, October 25.
- 2010. Thorburn, Jennifer. "On the acquisition of segments and syllable types in Northern East Cree: A case study." The 42nd Algonquian Conference, Memorial University, October 25.
- 2010. Brittain, Julie, Yvan Rose & Kevin Terry. "Grammatical analysis in early morphological development: Evidence from (Northern East) Cree." The Canadian Linguistics Association 2010 meeting (Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities), Concordia University, May 29.
- 2009. Rose, Yvan, Julie Brittain, Carrie Dyck & Erin Swain. "The acquisition of metrical opacity: A longitudinal case study from Northern East Cree." Poster presentation, Boston University Conference on Language Development (BUCLD) 34, Boston University, November 6.
- 2009. Brittain, Julie & Kevin Terry. "First Language Acquisition in Cree: An overview of verbal morphology and preliminary observations on its emergence." (Invited talk), to the Language Computation and Evolution Research Unit, The University of Edinburgh, July 28.
- 2007. Brittain, Julie, Marguerite MacKenzie, Will Oxford, Carrie Dyck & Yvan Rose. "Preliminary observations on Acquiring (East) Cree as a First Language." The 39th Algonquian Conference, York University, October 18-21.
- 2012. Johansson, Sara. "Learning Cree as a first language: Words before grammar". October edition of Waaskimaashtaau, Chisasibi, Quebec.
- 2012. Johansson, Sara. "Learning words before learning grammar: (Part of) the story of a child learning Cree as a first language." Public lecture, James Bay Eeyou School Library, Chisasibi, June 7.
- 2012. Thorburn, Jennifer. Learning Northern East Cree: A case study of the acquisition of aspects of the sound system. Manuscript, Memorial University.
- 2011. Brittain, Julie, Sara Johansson, & Yvan Rose. "How children learn language and what we know about Cree." Public lecture, Library, James Bay Eeyou School, Chisasibi, May 22.