Service Name: Microsoft Exchange Service
The Department of Computing and Communications (C&C) provides a clustered Microsoft Exchange service on a campus-wide basis. The Exchange service provides e-mail, calendaring, and scheduling abilities via a Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Web interface.
- The C&C Technical Support Group supports the Exchange server environment (clustered servers, Active Directory, file share), and manages the user licenses on a cost-recovery basis via a Service Level Agreement (SLA). The outcome is reliable, secure access to Microsoft Exchange environment integrating the data, scheduling, calendaring functions of the Exchange server.
- The service is available to current Memorial faculty and staff authorized by a SLA.
How to request this service:
- Service requests can be submitted via completion of an on-line form
- Service requests are made via select SLA forms and managed using Remedy incident management processes. Schedule F forms are now available online for authorized SLA contacts.
Out of Scope:
- Users not covered by a Service Level Agreement
- Domain equipment not owned by Memorial
- This is a Critical service and is available 24 hours a day, 365 days per year except during scheduled maintenance windows. Planned maintenance windows and unplanned outage notifications can be found at: http://www.mun.ca/cc/.
- The C&C Technical Support Group will manage the mail queues to ensure responsive delivery of email.
- The Technical Support Group will activate an Exchange account, setup resource mailbox access, and provision the license. These activities can take up to five business days to complete.
Processes and Tools:
- Service Desk (Remedy) services for incident management, tracking, and work-flow.
- SLA request forms (new account, delete account, account changes)
- Service outages are managed through the RFC ITIL process.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- Service Desk providing front-line client liaison
- The Personal Computing Group provides the install, setup of user desktop environment
- The Technical Support Group assigns service role specialists
- The Technical Support Group manager is responsible for contract renewal and license purchase
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of users
- Number of CAL licenses
- Data volume
- E-mail volume
Revision: March 2011
Service Owner: Don Bryant, Technical Support Group Manager