Service Name: Laptop Full Disk Encryption
The University’s Electronic Data Security Policy requires all laptops containing sensitive electronic data be encrypted; that way, no unauthorized disclosure of data will occur in the event the laptop is lost or stolen. C&C encrypts University-owned laptops using McAfee Endpoint Encryption (MEE) software.
- Laptop backup
- Hard disk health check
- Full disk encryption.
How to request this service:
To set up an appointment or for general inquiries:
Service Desk, HH-2012
To purchase MEE software contact:
Computer Purchasing Centre CS-1000
Who can avail of this service:
- Memorial University faculty, staff and student-staff who use university-owned laptops.
Out of Scope:
- MacBooks. MEE does not currently support Mac OS. MacBook users should use Mac OS’ FileVault feature until such time as MEE is available for Macs.
- Personally owned laptops
- MI and Grenfell Campus laptops.
- Once configured, encryption functionality is available 24/7 with no scheduled maintenance windows.
- Encryption support is provided by the C&C Service Desk from 8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Friday.
- Licensing is a one time cost of $50.00 tax included.
- Once the Service Desk is contacted to request this service, an appointment is set up within two days.
- After laptop drop off, the encryption process takes approximately one day.
Processes and Tools:
To avail of the service you must:
- Contact CPC to purchase MEE software
- Complete McAfee Employee Encryption Access form and return to C&C
- Contact C&C to set up an encryption appointment.
Accountabilities and Key Roles:
- Service Desk is a point of contact for clients requesting encryption service and it’s responsible for recording and tracking requests.
- CPC is a point of contact for clients for purchase of MEE software.
- Personal Computing Group (PCG) is responsible for receiving laptops during appointment time, laptop backup, disk check and encryption.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Number of encryption requests per year.
- Number of completed encryption requests per year.
Revision: February 2014
Service Owner: IT Security Officer, IT Security Group