The eThesis project originated from a requirement by Theses Canada that all theses and associated data be submitted electronically by April 2014.
A new upload process will be created through the Portal at my.mun.ca that will allow MUN graduate students to submit electronic copies of their completed and approved theses and dissertations via secure file transfer to the QEII library for long-term archiving. Thesis files are expected to be in PDF/A format – an ISO-standardized version of the Portable Document Format (PDF) specialized for the digital preservation of electronic documents. Along with finalized theses files, students are able to upload any other accompanying files in various formats up to a limit of 500 megabytes. Associated metadata is stored with each file. Only graduate students will have access to the eThesis link.
This new process will benefit the University by:
- Meeting the requirement of Theses Canada to submit all theses and metadata electronically by April 2014.
- Increasing the efficiency of the final submission phase.
- Eliminating the handling of paper copies.
The preliminary Schedule focuses on two key dates:
- October 18th for the completion of development and the beginning of user acceptance testing.
- January 2014 for the process to be available to graduate students through my.mun.ca.
For further information please contact:
Mandy Hayward, Systems Analyst, Enterprise Application Services
Computing and Communications
Phone: (709) 864-4650
October 16, 2013