Friends of the Garden
Members of the Friends of the Garden (FOG) are individuals and families who support the botanical, horticultural and environmental objectives of the Memorial University Botanical Garden (the Garden).
Volunteers have assisted the Garden since its inception in 1971. The Friends officially formed in 1978 and in 1985 the organization was incorporated and became a registered Canadian charity. Its legal name is "Friends of MUN Botanical Garden Inc" but the group is affectionately known as "the Friends" or "FOG" and there are now more than 900 members.
VOLUNTEERING WITH FOG:
Some FOG members also volunteer at the Garden. Volunteer opportunities include: helping in the Field Centre at the front desk; Gift Shop tasks; library managment; assisting in the Wildlife Friendly Garden; growing plants for resale as part of the Horticulture Group; trail patrol; and assisting with Garden events including Seniors' Day and the annual Mystery Garden Tour.
The Many Benefits of Membership
When you become a member of FOG, you also receive the following benefits:
- Free entrance to MUN Botanical Garden
- Free admission to lectures, demonstrations, Sunday Family Fun Day and the Parent and Tot Program
- Reduced rates and advance registration for Junior Naturalist Camps
- Advanced registration for some gardening, natural history and art workshops
- Opportunity to purchase plants prior to FOG's public spring and fall plant sales
- 10% discount on Garden Gift Shop items (some exceptions apply)
- Quarterly subscription to the FOG newsletter, The Twinflower
- Access to "Members Only" events, programs, tours, lectures, etc.
For more information please see our Join FOG! pamphlet here.
The FOG membership year is: April 1 - March 31. Memberships purchased / renewed after the Fall 2015 FOG Plant Sale are valid until March 31, 2017. For more information on purchasing membership please go here.
Friends of the Garden 2015 - 2016 Board of Directors
Volunteers needed to join FOG's 2015-16 Board of Directors who meet monthly from September through to June. Please contact Gail at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
|Vice President:||John Wheeler|
|Past President:||Stephen Andrews|
|Members at Large:||
Brenda Daly Wheeler
|*Garden Director:||Kim Shipp|
|*Garden Liaison:||Jane Cooper|
|*Horticultural Group Coordinator:||Eleanor King|
|*Carpentry Group Coordinator:||John Hearn|
For further information please contact:
Friends of the Garden
C/O MUN Botanical Garden
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL, Canada