As a follow up to the early offer process in April 2017, we recently awarded approximately 560 entrance scholarships valued at approximately $1,350,000 for 2017-2018. The majority of these scholarships went to students who had a 90% or higher Final Admission Average. Additional entrance scholarships will be awarded over the coming weeks.
Warren and Catherine Ball Memorial Entrance Scholarship
Valued at $7,500 annually and renewable for an additional four years ($30,000 in total) if first class and scholarship standing are maintained. This year’s recipients:
- Cassidy Rose, Mount Pearl
- Kaitlyn Tobin, Bay Roberts
Memorial University of Newfoundland Alumni Entrance Scholarship
Valued at $5,000 and renewable for an additional four years ($25,000 in total) if first class and scholarship standing are maintained. This year’s recipients:
- Gregory Battcock, Paradise
- Michael Coombs, St. Alban’s
- Coady Gillard, Georgetown
- Julianna Humby, Roddickton
- Megan Kieley, Conception Bay South
- Andrew Luther, Corner Brook
- Olivia Perry, York Harbour
- Matthew Williams, Gander
Dr. Leslie Harris Memorial University Alumni Association Scholarship
Valued at $4,000 annually and renewable for an additional three years ($16,000 in total) if first class and scholarship standing are maintained. This year’s recipients:
- Joel Hatcher, St. John’s
- Caleb Jones, Portugal Cove
- Brianna Kean, Badger’s Quay
- Amanda Parrell, Mount Pearl
- Andrew Ryan, Lewisporte
- Emma Smart, Outer Cove
- Megan Spencer, St. John’s
Memorial continues to match the provincial government scholarships (Provincial Electoral District, Centenary of Responsible Government, Junior Jubilee and Constable W.C. Moss Scholarships) for those recipients attending Memorial who did not receive another scholarship of equal or higher value from the university. The 2017-2018 winners of these scholarships will be announced later in Fall.
Memorial also continues the program that allows students attending the Comprehensive Arts and Science Transfer: College-University Program at College of the North Atlantic to defer their scholarship to Fall 2018 when they register as full-time students at Memorial. Approximately 12 of our entrance scholarships have been deferred to 2018-2019 under this program.
Memorial awards automatic scholarships to first year students at Marine Institute who are planning to complete degree programs. As a result of these and other initiatives we hope to continue to see our best and brightest stay in the province for their undergraduate studies.
The Scholarships and Awards Office would like to congratulate our 2017-2018 scholarship winners and the teachers and parents who played a role in their success. We wish them continued success in their first year at Memorial.
We would also like to send a special thank-you to all the schools who participated in our scholarship program this past year. We look forward to your support as we continue to fine tune the entrance scholarship program.
Students will continue to indicate their wish to apply for an early offer of scholarship via the application for admission to the university. Students who wish to be considered for early scholarship offers must:
- Apply for University admission by March 1
- Submit a copy of their Mid-Term (February) Grade/Progress Report by March 1. Do NOT provide NL high school transcripts. Only students who feel they are eligible for scholarship consideration (and students applying to Fine Arts and Nursing) should submit midterm grade reports
- Students should verify that they are eligible for scholarship consideration (based on the 5 level III subjects/courses needed for general admission) before submitting grade reports. They can visit the Office of the Registrar website to calculate their average. Note that a minimum 90% early entrance average is required
- Students should not submit multiple copies of the grade report
Students must submit their Grade/Progress Report to the Admissions Office, Office of the Registrar at: email@example.com (not monitored for inquiries). It should be a copy of the grade report issued by the school. The submission should include their MUN ID number, full name as supplied on their application, and their date of birth.
The Dr. Leslie Harris Memorial University Alumni Association and the Memorial University of Newfoundland Alumni Entrance Scholarships are available as early offers as well. These require a special application which will be available early in the new year at:
- Dr. Leslie Harris Memorial University Alumni Association Entrance Scholarship
- Memorial University of Newfoundland Alumni Entrance Scholarship