Math Placement Test (MPT)
Students planning to do one of the following need to write the MPT:
- Register for any mathematics course at St. John's campus.
- Register for Mathematics 1000 at Grenfell Campus.
- Apply to the School of Nursing.
When is the MPT?
- The MPT is being offered on Saturday, June 1, 2013 at 31 sites in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- High school students are strongly encouraged to write the MPT at this time.
- The MPT will be administered on the day before classes begin in the fall semester.
- In winter semester, the MPT is offered on the first day of classes.
- In the spring semester, the MPT is offered on the first day of classes at the St. John's campus.
How do I register for the MPT?
- For the MPT that is administered on the first Saturday in June, please visit the June MPT Registration website. The registration form will be active from April 15 – May 13.
- Except for the writing of the MPT on the first Saturday in June, you register for the MPT as you would a regular course and you must register for the MPT before registering for a mathematics course. If you check the Course Offerings posted by the Office of the Registrar, you will see the available times to write the MPT (listed as MATH 1MPT).
What is on the MPT?
- The MPT consists of 100 multiple-choice questions, broken down into 20 topics with five questions each. A synopsis of the exam is available at the back of this Guide.
- Note: The use of a calculator is neither required nor permitted on the MPT. Further, no calculators are permitted for use in the calculus sequence, including pre-calculus, (Mathematics 1090, 1000, 1001 or 2000).
When will I find out my result?
- The results will be posted on the math website, www.mun.ca/math/mpt, about a week after the test is written.
What score do I need to achieve?
- The score needed depends on the mathematics course that you are recommended to select for your intended program. The Course Criteria Chart outlines the requirements for each of the first-year courses.
What if I do not get the score I need?
- If you do not get the score you need on the MPT, you need to contact an academic advisor.
- Students on the St. John's campus should contact the Academic Advising Centre: email@example.com or 709 864 8801.
- Students at Grenfell Campus should contact the Office of the Registrar: firstname.lastname@example.org or 709 637 6298.
Exemptions from the MPT: Students who meet one of the following criteria do not need to write the MPT
- Students who receive credit for Mathematics 1000 through:
- AP mathematics (score of 3 or higher).
- IB Mathematics Higher (standing of 4 or higher).
- Transfer credit by completing an equivalent course at another institution recognized by Memorial.
- Students who achieve a standing of 4 or higher on IB Mathematics Standard are permitted to register for Mathematics 1000 without writing the MPT.
- Students who do not plan to register for a mathematics course at any point in their program.
- The Mathematics Placement Test (MPT) may be written only once; therefore students must ensure they are prepared for the test at the time of writing.
- Students may write the SAT® Subject Test in Mathematics Level I (SATMI) as often as they wish. Dates for the SATMI can be found at www.collegeboard.com.
For additional information please contact:
Harold Johnson, Undergraduate Officer
Department of Mathematics and Statistics